Cedar Stag

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Trent , basically a portrait-style pattern needs a contrasting backer to highlight the cut out areas and create the positive/negative space . This can be done with wood , felt , or any number of mediums
My experiment was to do it all with one piece of wood , cutting it lengthwise , scrolling the front piece , darkening the back piece then putting it back together and hiding the seams . It all went pretty well except the hiding of the seams :BangHead: lesson learned though ....I am working on another one in which the seams are completely invisible :eusa_clap
Still working on the finish for that one

Thanx for the kind words everyone :icon_thum

Bro, that's a beautiful piece. And, since you are unhappy with the "hiding of the seams" just put it in a box. You know the address!!

:rotflm:

sawduster

New User
Robert
That is great work! I love the stag. Did it come from a picture or something that you free handed? I also love the idea of cutting it from a single piece of wood. I am a novice so take my opinion for what it is worth. (not much) The only critique that I would give is to consider cutting it from a shorter section of wood. I don't think you could go much larger with the pattern or I would suggest that as an alternative. Again the work is incredible I would like to be able to turn something like that out someday.

Jay , ordinarily I would agree with you and your critique has merit and is definitely appreciated :icon_thum I'm always interested to know how other woodworkers view my work
I like to experiment outside of the box sometimes and challenge conventional thinking ( including my own ). Andy hit the nail right on the head :eusa_danc Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't ....spelled "designer firewood" :mrgreen:
In this case I wanted the focus on the wood , with the stag as an accent instead of the other way around . Several people have mentioned not seeing the stag initially so in that regard it seems to have worked out . I will often place a piece of wood in my computer room and look at it daily until suddenly I know what I want to do with it :widea:
The piece I'm working on now focuses more on the cutting and less on the wood

Thanx everyone for your input and kind words . I would never be where I am at today without you folks

THIS SITE ROX ! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Jay

New User
Jay
Robert,
That is certainly an appropriate piece of cedar you picked to be the center of attention and I certainly see your point. I was very taken however with the outstanding scrollwork and the design itself. It is outstanding work any way you look at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS