Carving tool recommendations

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
I'm stepping out beyond my knowledge/comfort zone for a project and need advice on upper-middle of the road carving tools.
First - what essential tools for sculpting what is essentially bas-relief faces and bodies?
Second - what brand? Pfeil looks great, but more than I want to spend. Narex? Harvey? Two Cherries (not much cheaper than Pfeil)? Others?

Thanks in advance for thoughts - directions...

Robert LaPlaca

Robert
Senior User
Joe, I have carving tools from Pfeil, Two Cherries, Dastra, Ashley Iles. As DrBob has stated, quality carving tools run at about $45 -50 per tool. The tool most ready to use without any shaping or sharpening is hands down Pfeil. Generally speaking you need to be able to sharpen the tools properly, to be able to carve.

Haven‘t bought from Chipping Away in a while, since they are located in Canada, they offered a more competitive price for Pfeil tools than Woodcraft.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I was surprised at the quality of the Schaaf tools. Much better than expected and a whole set for the price of three of some brands. A 12 piece set for $119.
Or you can order hand honed sets ready to carve at a higher price.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Another quality brand is Henry Taylor. Same price range as other top tier makers.

Lee Valley offers sets ‘honed and ready to use’.

-Mark

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
if you want ot borrow some of the carving tools, I live in Durham. Dan
Send a PM if interested in coming over to my shop.
cheekside.jpg

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors