Carbon Method on hand tools?

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Has anyone tried this stuff on planes, saws, chisels etc.? Sure wax or an oil can has worked for 100's of years, but could this be a better solution?

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Is this an oxymoron? "worked for 100's of years" and "a better solution"?
Sorry, please forgive.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Ok I'll bite - What is the Carbon Method?
I know a web search will likely tell me, but I ask anyways (for a friend?!).

Last edited:

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
If you are referring to carbon dating it accuracy is not that good. Most scientists now use radiometric. Cost would be the issue.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Ok I'll bite - What is the Carbon Method?
I know a web search will likely tell me, but I ask anyways (for a friend?!).
Ahhh, the first hit on a web search tells me this is stuff in a can and 'Carbon Method' is the product name; it's for rust prevention.
Graphite (a form of carbon) that fills the pores of the metal - and a 2nd step of a slickifier (technical term) to add slipperiness.

Last edited:

Ricksmi

Rick
Corporate Member
WoodWorkers Guild of America endorses Carbon Method I'll look for it next time Im at Klingspore since it looks like something to try other than good old paste wax.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Yes Gene, sometimes we can improve on age old tried and true. Sometimes not. They push it for table saw tops, but it would seem logical it might work well on any iron. Not cheap though.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I can see it having lots of uses in any shop. I’ll have check it out Just for fun.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
In looking into this, I see it is a kind of Nano coating used on cars. I am guessing the "Carbon Method" brand is a mix design without silicone in it. I would also surmise it is likely there are other brands that also do not have any silicone in them as well.
Once you can determine what brands are silicone free, then you could be able to determine if the Carbon Method brand is correctly priced or just marketed to us woodworkers as the latest and greatest premium pricing.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
In looking into this, I see it is a kind of Nano coating used on cars. I am guessing the "Carbon Method" brand is a mix design without silicone in it. I would also surmise it is likely there are other brands that also do not have any silicone in them as well.
Once you can determine what brands are silicone free, then you could be able to determine if the Carbon Method brand is correctly priced or just marketed to us woodworkers as the latest and greatest premium pricing.
Exactly

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
WoodWorkers Guild of America endorses Carbon Method I'll look for it next time Im at Klingspore since it looks like something to try other than good old paste wax.
WWGA is not exactly a ringing endorsement. They do everything for $$, including their "endorsements" or recommendations.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I have my own mind but if "Wiley woodworks gives me 20 bucks, I would say nice things for sure".......... like that ? 😁

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
It seems to work as advertised based on what I have seen, the real question is long term usage agains cost compared to other products. Who’s going first?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS