Canes

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOAT

New User
Theo
http://www.arbortech.com.au/upload/pages/free-videos-main/walking-sticks.pdf

Or walking sticks. Started carrying a cane a fair while back, when my kneed started getting aggrevated. Still don't need it most of t he time, but that 1 or 2 % when my knee gives me problems I am very happy I have it along. The first was a wooden cane I bought, because I had no idea how to make one. Was in the habit of laying it on top of the camper shell of my El Camino, but forgot it was there, drove off, and lost it somewhere. Bought another cane. Similar story. Finally figured out the problem, on the camper shell I didn't readily notice it when I got in. Now I set it on the room, fairly close to the windshield, and now it's easily noticed. Figured that one out after I got out on the highway and heard the cane hit the road. Fortunately no one ran over it. Anyway, after I lost the second cane figured this could get expensive. So looked up a few sites on-line, looked at some canes, ignored the instructions, and made a cane. I'd already measureed the store bought cane, so made it the same length. I bought wooden canes rather than those tacky aluminun canes. Figured I'd use it for awhile, then cut it off to a length I liked. Turned out I liked the height as is, which pusts my elbow slightly bent. The first cane was laminated oak flooring, planed to 1" square, makes for a very sturdy cane. Have made two more canes since, using tree branches, and laminated plywood handles; I'm on handle design Mark V No 1 now.. I'll take pictures soon and post them..

steviegwood

New User
Steven
I would love to see some photos as soon as you get them. I just recently posted about me needing a cane/walking stick. It seems as my back is getting worse that I am going to need something a lot sooner than we had originally thought. I am on a limited budget but willing to barter. I want something that is original and not so tacky also. I am not ready for the old folks home just yet so I really do not want what I would consider an old man's cane. Thanks and I do not mean any of this to offend any of our older members. Steve :rotflm::rotflm:

JOAT

New User
Theo
I'll try to get some pictures taken this weekend. You mentioned barter. Does that mean you'd prefer to swap for one? Or would make your own? Unless you want to get fancy, it isn't that hard. Or expensive. My first cane I used oak flooring my kid had given me. I planed it down to 1/2", glued two layers together, making a 90 degree turn at the top, for the handle, and another short 90 degree turn off of that. then I cut it down to 1" that way, making the shaft 1"X1". Rounded the handle top, and used a 4" hole saw on the inner part tw shape the handle. Had been going to round it, but kinda liked the square look. Bought two cane tips, much pricier than furniture type, the cane is very sturdy, could probably beat a bull to death with it, and weighs 1.2 lbs according to the digital scale in the doctor's office. I used that until I finished the first tree limb cane. Total cost out of pocket was the cane tip, I don't count the free oak, the electricity I used, or the glue. I have no idea what an "old man's cane" looks like as I'm just now nearing middle age. Oh yes, the handle on my tree limb cane is 1 1/2" wide, I made a master shape i like, routed out 3 pieces of plywood to that shape, cut the piece to go in the center to accept the tenon on the shaf, glue the pieces on one of the side pieces, when the glue sets, glue that part onto the shaft tenon, glue the other side on, and clamp until the glue sets. A bit of sanding to smooth it and it's a cane. All thatls left then is I put a coat or two of vegetable (cooking) oil on the shaft and a furniture tip on the end. It's a cane.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
My son made one to go with his magic act. The shaft is walnut and the knob is an antique door knob, the steel shaft from the door goes three inches into the cane.

IMG_3768.JPG

I'm am getting ready to start one for an older friend that needs a strong cane, but wants something a bit lady like. I'll be splitting a black Locust bole to make the cane as strong and thin as possible. The grip will be attached with a through tenon, glued and wedged. There will be leaves carved along the length of the cane.

But this kind of work is $$$. :embaresse

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
I also make canes and walking sticks. I go out and find the swisty sticks.The ones with the vine growing around it.Each one is different.I'll try to get some picks posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS