Cane repairing pointers

Status
Not open for further replies.

happypowpow

New User
Bruce
Hello everyone! Happy New Year!!!!!

My cane chair broke and I want to fix it myself. Since this is going to be my first time fixing a cane chair, I have a few questions:

Is this something I would regret doing it myself? From some quick google search it looks like the concept is easy but I don't know if it is really that easy to work with the spline and cane... if the spline is glue down, how do I take it off? Do I have to replace the spline, too?

Rockler has the weave cane.
Has anyone order this from Rockler or similar stuff from other online/local store (Raleigh area). I'm going to need a 2' x 4' sheet. Just want to know if the quality is okay because I don't want to repair my chair every year :eusa_doh:

Any thing I should notice, any trick, any comment or info would be very welcome:gar-Bi

Bruce

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Woodcraft and Woodworkers Supply also sell good Cane seats.

The book I've found really helpful is The Caner's Handbook by Bruce Miller and Jim Widess.

Also Making Chair Seats by Ruth Comstock.

I've not done cane, I'm into Rush seats, but these books cover both quite well.

Best of luck and share pics, we love pics!

Jim

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Woodcraft and Woodworkers Supply also sell good Cane seats.

The book I've found really helpful is The Caner's Handbook by Bruce Miller and Jim Widess.

Also Making Chair Seats by Ruth Comstock.

I've not done cane, I'm into Rush seats, but these books cover both quite well.

Best of luck and share pics, we love pics!

Jim
Rush, as in Limbaugh??????????????????????

:gar-Bi

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I had caned a few kitchen chairs years ago. I borrowed a book and followed it with grea results, the only problem I remembered was keeping the cane lined up with the wood so that it was crooked when finished. Follow instructions carefully, the old spline came out and the new spline went in, both fairly easily.

Good luck.

rbdoby

New User
Rick
Caning is pretty easy. Just don't get in a hurry. The tools needed are simple. Get a good instruction manual like "The Caner's Handbook" and it will walk you though it step by step.

I've bought pre-woven cane and spline from Rockler and it worked fine. Another good supply source is V. I. Reed & Cane at http://seatweaving.org/store/index.html. There are some pictures in my photo gallery of pieces I've caned.

You will have to replace the spline because you have to chisel out the old spline with a 1/8" chisel. It comes out pretty easy. Most cane is glued in with white glue like Elmer's, it's easy to clean up and has a longer open time. Measure the spline width to know what size to replace it with.

I don't have a lot of experience but I'll share what little knowledge I have.

Rick Doby

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
Another option for cleaning out the groove (glue, old cane, trash from chisel) is a small hand held router. I have cleaned out the grooves using this method in the past. (slow and steady).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors