Candidate for Restoration?

1075tech

Tim
Senior User
Hopefully worth the $15 I paid.

No maker that I can find. Just "MADE IN USA". Measures 14"x2½".

It's complete with a couple of non original screws and washers.

Hoping to learn something about it here KIMG3483.JPGKIMG3484.JPG

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looks like either a Stanley No 5c, or else a clone of one.

Last edited:

1075tech

Tim
Senior User
After some rudimentary cleaning, I find that it is a Miller's Falls 814C. It appears to be some variation of a Type 1. Possibly a 1F from the late 30's or early 40s

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
some more info on the 814C

If you are ever on Craftisian.com look around for HokieKen, he is a collector of Miller Falls handplanes and a wealth of knowledge.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Disassemble, Wire brush it, then soak the metal parts in phosphoric acid diluted to 20% for 4-8hrs. Then use, a urethane wheel to do final clean, then move to the normal prep you do to the plane and you got it.

1075tech

Tim
Senior User
Disassemble, Wire brush it, then soak the metal parts in phosphoric acid diluted to 20% for 4-8hrs. Then use, a urethane wheel to do final clean, then move to the normal prep you do to the plane and you got it.
It appears to be just surface rust. Probably sat in someone's damp barn or basement for a bit. I don't see any pitting.

It should clean up nicely.

1075tech

Tim
Senior User
If it was in better shape I'd buy it. I am starting to gather a set of MF planes.
I basically want to get it usable. And use it. There's something relaxing about watching a craftsman using a plane. The sound it makes.

I'm no craftsman, but I want to learn more. I like using the older tools.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS