Can you put a Byrd Shelix cutterhead on an older Craftsman Planer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

steviegwood

New User
Steven
Hi Folks, I have a 12 1/2" and a 13" Craftsman thickness planers and was wondering if you can get the Shelix head for them? Are they worth putting on if so? Should I just wait until I can afford another brand with it already on? Thanks. Steve

Last edited:

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Re: Can you puy a Byrd Shelix cutterhead on an older Craftsman Planer?

Are they "lunch boxes," or rebadged Woodmaster or Parks. Sears sold both in the past under their name.

ehpoole

Ethan

If we are talking about benchtop/lunchbox planers then the answer is you can. However, I personally (emphasis on personally here) don't consider them a terribly good investment in these planers as you will spend nearly as much on the helical replacement cutterhead as you did on the original planer (and possibly even more) and you will typically shorten the life of the benchtop planer versus the original straight knives. See my related comments in this thread.

If I were going to take the plunge, I would seriously consider investing in a heavy duty 15" planer, which are readily available on the new and used markets, and then make the investment in a helical head upgrade. These planers will last you a lifetime and give a better (IMHO) return on your investment overall.

But if the question is "can you", then the answer is "yes" and it is up to you how you evaluate "return on investment". :)

steviegwood

New User
Steven

I kind of figured that it would not be worth the investment. Well grizzly here I come (later this year,hopefully). I think that I will invest in one that is already set up with that cutterhead. Thanks. Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors