Can you measure your mortiser key?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick M

New User
Rick
A 1/2 hp Craftex mortiser was given to me but it’s missing the chuck key. A Rohm S2A chuck (metric) key seems to fit but is too short so I can’t be sure it’s the right size; it is a 12 tooth, 6mm pilot, 17.6mm gear. The pilot hole on the mortiser chuck is 6mm so it’s probably the correct size. I called Busy Bee and they couldn’t tell me the key size and shipping from Canada is kind of expensive.

This is the same generic 1/2 hp mortiser sold by a bunch of companies like Grizzly, Jet, General, Harbor Freight, etc. I’m hoping they all use the same chuck key. If anyone knows or if anyone has one of these generic mortisers and would measure their chuck key it would help me out. Grizzly says theirs is 4mm but that is really small and I think they might be measuring the hex end.

Measurement “D” is 6mm

key.jpg

Mine is pretty much identical to this one:

16033098_1.jpg

ehpoole

Ethan
Have you checked to see if ereplacementparts.com happens to have the correct key for your mortiser? They will not incur international shipping and have parts for a great many items at, usually, reasonable prices. If not your specific brand, try checking an identical model from a more popular brand or two as well. Many of us have had very good experiences with them and they do have effective customer service to resolve any issues (for example, I once received mislabeled parts and with one late night email they had the correct replacements in the mail the next business day no questions asked and no need to bother with a return).

Rick M

New User
Rick
Thanks Phil, that tells me they are not all the same and rules out Steelex.

Sent from my KFGIWI using Tapatalk

Charlie Buchanan

Charlie
Corporate Member
A 1/2 hp Craftex mortiser was given to me but it’s missing the chuck key. A Rohm S2A chuck (metric) key seems to fit but is too short so I can’t be sure it’s the right size; it is a 12 tooth, 6mm pilot, 17.6mm gear. The pilot hole on the mortiser chuck is 6mm so it’s probably the correct size. I called Busy Bee and they couldn’t tell me the key size and shipping from Canada is kind of expensive.

This is the same generic 1/2 hp mortiser sold by a bunch of companies like Grizzly, Jet, General, Harbor Freight, etc. I’m hoping they all use the same chuck key. If anyone knows or if anyone has one of these generic mortisers and would measure their chuck key it would help me out. Grizzly says theirs is 4mm but that is really small and I think they might be measuring the hex end.

Measurement “D” is 6mm

View attachment 23027

Mine is pretty much identical to this one:

View attachment 23028

My Jet key is 15/64 pilot (D). L dimension is 4 1/8 " and gear is scant 3/4" with 12 teeth. Sounds like Jet bench top Mortimer chuck key might be a fit. Sorry, I don't have metric caliper.

Rick M

New User
Rick
My Jet key is 15/64 pilot (D). L dimension is 4 1/8 " and gear is scant 3/4" with 12 teeth. Sounds like Jet bench top Mortimer chuck key might be a fit. Sorry, I don't have metric caliper.

:icon_cheers Winner!!

Perfect. 15/64 = .234, mine is 5.96mm which is .234".

Jet only has one mortiser on their website so I'm assuming that's the one.
http://www.jettools.com/us/en/p/benchtop-mortise-machine-1-2-capacity-1-2hp-1725-rpm/708580

ereplacements has one for $8.16 + 5.25 shipping. I'll order in the morning. Thanks guys. Charlie I owe you a frosty beverage.

Rick M

New User
Rick
Update, key arrived from ereplacements and is a perfect fit. Thanks again Charlie and Phil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors