Can you help me ID this hand plane?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SawBuck

New User
Lonnie
My uncle gave me this hand plane some years ago. He told me it was my grandad's plane. Unfortunately it is missing an adjustment knob, the plane iron, and the chip breaker. The sole is nice and flat, but the shoulders are not square to it. I thought I would try to get it back into working shape anyway because it has sentimental value. I haven't been able to ID the make and model so far. I tried fitting it with replacement plane iron/chip breaker sets from Pinnacle, but they wouldn't quite align with the adjustment slot and screw on the frog. Of course this just further heightened my curiosity. It measures 13 1/2 inches long. There are no other markings on it other than in the close up below. Can you folks help me ID it?

Thanks!
Lonnie

DSCN3546.JPG

View image in gallery

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Lonnie, it was proably made by Stanley Rule & Level for another company such as a hardware store chain. Most of the ones I've seen were #5 size and are quite usable. Looks like all you need is an iron.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
That looks like a stamped metal frog and it is set back way too far from the mouth. If you want to us it I may have some parts or can help you find some to fit. Spend the money and get a Hock blade and chip breaker set.

Can you measure the width of the mouth opening from side to side? and take a picture with the frog taken off? If the part I have will fit I'll give it to you.

There's still room in this workshop if you can come to either one.

http://ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=40583

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
are you sure that's a stanley? that frog looks rather strange and unlike any other stanley, record, sargent frog i've scanned around for. YMMV. What about the yoke/ depth adjuster? Rather than a simple "lever" which is present on Stanleys, it's forked, which is probably why the chip breaker/ iron set you tried didn't fit. very interesting......

SawBuck

New User
Lonnie
Mike I would love to come to the class. I responded to the thread. I will try to post a picture with the frog removed.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Got ya Lonnie.

No I don't think it is a Stanley as such. But they did make cheaper versions for other companies under several brands. The body looks to be the same casting and could possibly take a better frog along with other parts.

It will be grand dad's hammer with a new handle, but the same head. :rotflm:

Asheville Hardware

New User
Asheville Hardware
I was thinking that plane looked familiar, so I went and checked our consignment used planes. Sure enough, we have a smoother with the same exact stamped frog. It has no marking on the body whatsoever, but the iron has "Crusader" stamped in it.

Hope that helps.

Scott

Edit: Looking closer, I see that there is a "Made in USA" stamp in the same place behind the frog. Just hard to see due to some surface rust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors