Can we talk about 14" bandsaws

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I'm in the market for a new 14" band saw.

My new saw will mainly be used for re-sawing.

What do you guys recommend and why?

Thanks

When will Zach send me his NC BBQ sauce recipe?

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Jeff, I've had the Rikon 10-325 for about 5 years now, and am very happy w/ it. I use it mainly for re-sawing. Replace the stock blade w/ a Woodslicer from Highland Woodworking. Build a taller fence and get rid of the one it comes w/, if you use a fence for re-sawing. You'll have an excellent machine.

Let me know if you want to see my version of a re-saw fence.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Jeff, I've had the Rikon 10-325 for about 5 years now, and am very happy w/ it. I use it mainly for re-sawing. Replace the stock blade w/ a Woodslicer from Highland Woodworking. Build a taller fence and get rid of the one it comes w/, if you use a fence for re-sawing. You'll have an excellent machine.

Let me know if you want to see my version of a re-saw fence.
If its not to much to ask could you post a pic of your fence setup? Also what is the max height for resawing? I know riser blocks are needed for some bandsaws but not sure about Rikon.

Thanks

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Here's one pic of the band saw fence I made. There are more in my gallery here. The re-saw height is 13", and no riser block is needed. It comes that way. That's probably the main reason I chose this one. I've heard there can be twisting problems when riser blocks are installed. Others have said that is not an issue, though. As I said earlier, I've been very satisfied w/ this saw.

IMG_2639.JPG

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks for posting that Bill - I forgot how you made a "relief" for the blade guard / followers.

The throat on the Rikon 10-325 is relatively small isn't it? Making the saw somewhat compact as compared to a "hyped" resaw bandsaw.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
Did you say RESAW? Well if you're really ready to jump in to this take a look at the Hatachi CB75F. DC motor, 2 inch blade etc. Now bear in mind that it cost a small fortune ($2800 or so) but you have one of the best resaw machines ever built.

7108828_260.jpg

Pop

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Did you say RESAW? Well if you're really ready to jump in to this take a look at the Hatachi CB75F. DC motor, 2 inch blade etc. Now bear in mind that it cost a small fortune ($2800 or so) but you have one of the best resaw machines ever built.

View attachment 15408

Pop
Thanks for that...

I have been re-sawing with my woodmizer sawmill which has a automatic feed, 25" width x 21' resaw capacity and is 4 cylinder gas powered. Personally i think that that's a little better... But I'm just looking for something solid in the shop that will resaw smaller stuff well without a bunch of fussing around.

LT35H_slide1.jpg

Touchwood

New User
Don
Thanks for that...

I have been re-sawing with my woodmizer sawmill which has a automatic feed, 25" width x 21' resaw capacity and is 4 cylinder gas powered. Personally i think that that's a little better... But I'm just looking for something solid in the shop that will resaw smaller stuff well without a bunch of fussing around.

LT35H_slide1.jpg

Jeff

I bought an "old iron" 14" Delta 25 years ago and never regretted it. I installed a riser block to get a full 9" cut and Carter guides. I've used it to cut the arc on all my rocker headrests...8" width in 8/4 stock, in cherry, walnut sycamore with a 3/8" wide , 3 tooth skip blade. Absolutely no problemo!!....unless you want to plow through it 10 seconds instead of 20. I just don't get the need for supersize resaws in the average shop, unless your going into milling stuff for other reasons than building furniture and the like.
The Delta performs flawlessly on much smaller stuff as well...try that on a one inch blade 3HP machine. Overkill...folks just get sucked in with the marketing hype. You can get what you need for five or six hundred bucks. ...justIMHO :eusa_danc

OK..On this BBQ recipe...how about Zack publishes it on the site for all of us...It's sounding better all the time!!!
Drogar-BigGrin%28DBG%29.gif

Last edited:

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Jeff

I bought an "old iron" 14" Delta 25 years ago and never regretted it. I installed a riser block to get a full 9" cut and Carter guides. I've used it to cut the arc on all my rocker headrests...8" width in 8/4 stock, in cherry, walnut sycamore with a 3/8" wide , 3 tooth skip blade. Absolutely no problemo!!....unless you want to plow through it 10 seconds instead of 20. I just don't get the need for supersize resaws in the average shop, unless your going into milling stuff for other reasons than building furniture and the like.
The Delta performs flawlessly on much smaller stuff as well...try that on a one inch blade 3HP machine. Overkill...folks just get sucked in with the marketing hype. You can get what you need for five or six hundred bucks. ...justIMHO :eusa_danc

OK..On this BBQ recipe...how about Zack publishes it on the site for all of us...It's sounding better all the time!!!
Drogar-BigGrin%28DBG%29.gif
I would love to find a old school delta/Rockwell. I cut my teeth on a old Rockwell.

I agreed... Zach should just post his authentic NC BBQ Sauce recipe for everyone, but I would be happy if he just sent it to me.

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
I have a 20" Delta that should fit the bill. I think it may come up for sale in about a year. You gotta come get it though.

jhancock

New User
Josh
For blades call this guy http://www.woodcraftbands.com/. His quality and prices can't be beat.

I've had great success with my craftsman, which is really a rikon. At about 400 bucks with a 8 inch capacity. With one of the above blades I resaw 7 inch oak easily.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
For blades call this guy http://www.woodcraftbands.com/. His quality and prices can't be beat.

I've had great success with my craftsman, which is really a rikon. At about 400 bucks with a 8 inch capacity. With one of the above blades I resaw 7 inch oak easily.

I agree about woodcraftbands.com (not associated with Woodcraft). Johns resaw blade is much better than the Woodslicer and much less expensive.
I have been using his bi-metal blades for a few years and they last and last. Easy to sharpen with a Dremal too!.
Ken

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Jeff I have the Grizzly G0555 with a 1/2 Timberwolf blade and a riser block. Does very well for me. I might give the Woodcraftbands a try though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS