Can I buff cured epoxy resin pour?

Cuprousworks

Mike
User
I poured 1/4" thick for a box bottom and in handling post-cure I put a shallow surface scratch on a highly visible section. It has cured for 2 days and it's now a hard, tack-free surface.

Can I buff out the scratch? Maybe a light amount of Tripoli on a new wheel? Need to let cure addition time?

My usual method is to take it to a wheel to find out, but I'd rather finish as-is than risk further damage if epoxy is too soft to polish.
Mike

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
I've had limited exposure to epoxy, but what I have had says you likely can buff it out now. Another day of curing would be safer. Being it's as thin as it is, it likely cured pretty fast.

SabertoothBunny

SabertoothBunny
Corporate Member
The easiest way, I can think of, to take care of that since it is a box bottom is a very thin, clear epoxy pour. Just enough epoxy to fill the scratch and create and even surface and then let it sit to harden again. That should get you the smooth surface finish.

Cuprousworks

Mike
User
Thanks all for the suggestions. Follow-up: Since the scratched surface was tinted and poured to a specific height I thought it better to try buffing. (but the epoxy topcoat suggestion is likely to be used in the future)

New wheel, Tripoli white compound and very light touch worked. Another interesting thing learned - I was able to machine without chipping using the router table, trimming the edge down to the plywood for a neat fit in the bottom groove...

Mike

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS