Campaign Chest Completed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grgramps

New User
Roy Hatch
In an earlier thread I posted some pictures of the beginning of this project. However I got sidetracked and the thread was closed. My wife was actually starting to wonder if it would ever be completed. The plan is for this piece to serve as an end table so there will be a glass top to protect the shellac finish.

Much has been written on the subject of shellac and how many coats of what cut should be used. I have finished several projects with shellac and decided it is my favorite. When completing this project I made two findings that suit me. I start with dry flakes and make a heavy cut without measuring or weighing and thin it until I like the way it goes on. Next I apply coats until I like the look and additional coats no longer enhance the appearance. Then I'm done. This was a revelation for me because with prior pieces I agonized over when to quit.

Wikipedia offers info on campaign furniture: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campaign_furniture

Pictures are in my album: http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showgallery.php?cat=980

Roy

M

McRabbet

A great job, Roy! It is certainly an heirloom piece and I'm sure LOYL is very pleased with the result. Are the chest body and drawer fronts done in Mahogany? Looks like poplar is your drawer box choice -- nice dovetails, too!

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Very nice! I love the wood, finish, and piece as a whole. Love the bead, use it a lot myself. Unfortunately, it does cover the HB dovetails. How did you cut the miters for the bead? Me personally, I made a jig for the tablesaw to cut 45's, but am curious to hear if you used another method.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Very handsome, I really like the brass hardware, and the cockbeading on the drawers. Your finish looks excellent. Great job :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Dave:)

Grgramps

New User
Roy Hatch
Rob, When I got to the drawers I used what I had. The sides are maple, backs are ash and book matched pine for the bottoms. Hows that for a variety?

Travis, I used the DeWalt miter saw for the miters used on the drawer trim. Before moving to NC 4 years ago one of the neighbors with whom I shared a driveway was one of the engineers at Black & Decker in Hampstead, MD who designed that saw. I can remember him looking at my saw and saying, "We did a good job on that saw, but I've got some ideas for improving it." Wasn't long after that I noticed they changed the trigger that had given me some problems with sticking. I've never been able to fault it for accuracy.

Roy

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Very, very nice...I studied that article in the mag and thought of how many places I could screw it up!
I know you're proud of it; I would be.

MikeH

New User
Mike
Roy you did a great job on that. The finish looks awesome. Sometimes you just have to go with your gut and how it looks and feels. Great job! :icon_thum

Grgramps

New User
Roy Hatch
Very, very nice...I studied that article in the mag and thought of how many places I could screw it up!

Joe, If I spent much time counting the ways I could screw up, I would never get started! The way to success is being able to hide or disguise your mistakes. I think I would have to review my past projects very carefully to see if I could find one that was completed without at least one mistake. However, I do try very hard to not make the same mistake more than once.:roll:

Roy

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Roy, that is some pretty work. I love the dovetails but wonder why you decided on half blind instead of through on the carcase?

The cockbeading is wonderfully done around the drawers and your finish is spectacular. Really nice work!!! Congratulations!!!:icon_thum:icon_thum

Grgramps

New User
Roy Hatch
Mike, The half blind was not a conscious decision on my part. That's what the plan called for and I blindly accepted it.;-) Your question prompted me to do a Google for some antiques, but I failed to find anything that could be a standard for how the originals were made. Certainly, I could have used through dovetails, but with the Leigh jig, the half blind is just as easy.

Someday, perhaps I'll take the time to learn to cut them by hand.

I really appreciate the kind words you all have offered.

Roy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS