calling all neanderthals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerome B

New User
Jerome
I was wondering who all might be interested in building a piece of furniture or project completely with hand tools? Everyone would be making their own piece, but we would meet, learn new techniques, and compare techniques. Oh Yeah we'd probably get to eat some where too.

I think that the first meeting that we had would be one in which go over how to sharpen your saws and plane blades. Then we could do a quickie type project or go one to a larger one.

My idea of a quickie project is that I new portable bench. It requires the cutting of mortises and tenons, the squaring of stock. It's cheap. And best of all it doesn't have to be done incredibly accurately.

portable_bench.jpg

What do y'all think?

Jerome

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
I think it's a great idea, just wish I was closer and had the collection of hand tools needed.

That's a great offer though, I look forward to seeing what comes out of your work shop.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Jerome,

I am interested, but there are two things that might work against me:

1) I'm in need of improving my tool selection :gar-La;.

2) I have two young daughters, so family could get in the way.

But, keep me on the yes list and we'll go from there.:icon_thum

Thank you,
Jimmy

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Do you accept members that are in a different country to participate in this endeavor?:eusa_pray I wish I could do it local with you all, but maybe we can all decide on a project and do it together, leaving some of the final details up to each craftsman. If you would accept me in your flock of Neanders for this project I am more than willing to take lots and lots of pics.

How does a nightstand or end table sound? :dontknow:

Dragon

New User
David
UGH! Neanderthal? :eek: So that's what I am, e gads. My "tool" collection consists of a chainsaw, a couple of handsaws, a claw hammer, 1" wood chisel, 2 belt sanders and a 1/4 sheet vibrator sander. Oh, and a couple of crowbars and come-alongs and asst. screwdrivers and wra'nches. Guess I'm really roughing it for sure. :rolf:

...but a Country Boy can survive..............:gar-La;

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Jerome,

That is such a great idea! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap My list of handtools is VERY short, but I might be getting some pretty soon (from my grandparents' estate :tinysmile_cry_t:) If that happens, I would absolutely LOVE to do them some respect and use them for the first time in many years on a project. But I'd like to make something for my Dad. I think that would be very symbolic to him and would mean so much after everything he's been through. I know this is out there in left field and it all depends on what I end up with cause I sure can't afford anymore tools right now, but I'd like to participate if possible.

Trent

nelsone

New User
Ed
I think it's a great idea! I have to see how time and finances work out. When are you thinking of putting this together and are you planning on your place for the gathering?

I think I have a sufficient tools to do a neander project. If not we'll have to drag Jeremy along with his newly acquired collection!:rolf:

James Davis

New User
James Davis
I would really like to participate in something like this Jerome. Please let us know when and where.

James

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Jerome,

I definitely remember seeing some pics of work that you've done when you posted them, but I just checked out your gallery and it is without a doubt, some of the best craftsmanship I've ever seen. :notworthy:

Trent

Jerome B

New User
Jerome
I'm in for the small project.... maybe something like this sawbench would be a good starting point.

http://blog.lostartpress.com/ct.ash...artpress.com/content/binary/2008-Sawbench.pdf

Any one have an idea of minimum set of required tools yet?
\

Details schmetails. When and Where I don't know.

Right now my place is too small. I only have a 15x15 room. hmm.
We could ask the folks at Old Salem or perhaps one of the community colleges if we could use their space, or if one of us has a shop big enough for 4-6 of us could gather. Just throwing out some ideas.

I am just realizing how many tools I have accumulated (bench, saw horses, etc) and take for granted. Wow.

Tools needed for suggested saw horse.

Saw horse
cross cut saw
rip saw
tenon saw
brace and bit
bench
1" bench chisels
square
bench hook or something to hold wood while cutting with back saw
jack plane and or try plane

Now that I have probably scared everyone with the list of tools.

How many people have work benches that they can do hand tool work on? Counter top height benches don't count unless you are the jolly green giant. Excuse me Tar Heel Blue giant.

When we meet would people like to actually work or to watch? I vote for work. But I am use to toting around my bench.

I have to get back to work, back in a while.

Jerome

nelsone

New User
Ed
If I join in I'd rather do the work. How long would it take to make a simple chest? Either a tool chest or blanket chest (you can call it what you want when it's finished!)

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I love this thread!

I like the idea of doing sawbenches. Cheap, material wise, and vital to neanderthal'n (so I hear).

Another quick project might be a nest of saws, that thing they keep handsaws in.

Since we don't need power, persay, maybe we could work in a back yard or driveway?

Jim

Jerome B

New User
Jerome
I love this thread!

I like the idea of doing sawbenches. Cheap, material wise, and vital to neanderthal'n (so I hear).

Another quick project might be a nest of saws, that thing they keep handsaws in.

Since we don't need power, persay, maybe we could work in a back yard or driveway?

Jim

Don't worry what ever we do will be cheap material wise. SYP is my friend. And it isn't too hard to get.

I know that the first meeting that we have will need to be focused on making sure that we can sharpen our saws and our blades. We'll all be dangerous after that. I am tossing about the idea of the actual project to suggest. To work together we will all need something to work on. a quickie and cheap portable bench might be a good possibility. Heck even if we make saw horses we'll need something to work on. I'm a little stumped there.

A quick type of chest that I have been wanting to make for a little while is a boot jack chest. It can probably be done in a day and it can be adjusted to make it dressy if desired.

If we did this in March when would be good for folks.

Jerome

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Jerome,
This is a great idea and I'm interested, but it's long distance for me. :dontknow: I'll keep watching the postings and as the plans refine, I'll see what I can do. :eusa_thin
My Best
Randy

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have an old bench that I've used for years as a 'hop bench' for installing crown moulding with a tool tray below and a carry handle. Some carpenters also had these with a set of cleats at the end to hold a door so they could mortise the hinges. Although it was made on the cheap I'd think something like this could be done with hand tools and joined with dovetails to make a work/sitting bench. It would require some 1 x 12 SYP and a little 1 x 4 SYP (a little ripping experience here maybe?). I think it's ironic that you have to have a sawbench to make a saw bench. Which came first, the chicken or the egg? :icon_scra
As a historic note, old framing carpenters were often required to make a set of saw benches as a test of their skills in order to get a job. It's still a good indicator of skill level and practicality.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
In march, the weekend of the 20th is out for me. I'm off to Berea, KY to the Kelly Mehler school to take that 18th century tools and technique class.

Beside myself with pent up glee at that class. Luckily we are not required to dress in period costume :)

I was also fortunate enough to take Willard Andersons excellent saw sharpening class last summer. One thing to mention, it might help to also work on sawing technique. We slaved away for about 7 hours sharpening only to find out we didn't really know how to use the saws at the end of the day.

Jim

Jerome B

New User
Jerome
In march, the weekend of the 20th is out for me. I'm off to Berea, KY to the Kelly Mehler school to take that 18th century tools and technique class.

Beside myself with pent up glee at that class. Luckily we are not required to dress in period costume :)

I was also fortunate enough to take Willard Andersons excellent saw sharpening class last summer. One thing to mention, it might help to also work on sawing technique. We slaved away for about 7 hours sharpening only to find out we didn't really know how to use the saws at the end of the day.

Jim

Hey I'll be there too!! Where are you staying? Finding a place to stay is on my to do list next week.

Hopefully one day I will be an excellent sawyer. What did y'all go over in the class? Did 'all start from a blank saw?

Jerome

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
How cool! Maybe we can talk Adam into joining the site :)

I too haven't booked my lodging yet. I was dreaming of riding my bike and camping, but turns out their avg night temps are in the 30's. I'm way too delicate for that.

You flying or driving out? PM me on the side.

Will covered everything with saws. He had some great mock ups of teeth, covered the tools (vises, files, sets etc). He had tons of old saws to look at. We covered theory.

All the students had their own saws to work on. One cross and one rip between 4 and 7 tpi.

He did have one saw blank, but it was only for demo!

Its safe to say we spent a good 4 hours of sharpening time. It was lots of work. Starting from a blank would really be a days labor!

If you have seen Tom Law's video, thats pretty close to what Will covered. He was able to cover more on files and angle guides. Will also helped with lots of hands on tips. He sent us home with an outstanding book too.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS