Call for Outreach volunteers - April 27

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
This is a "possible" session to be held in Liberty, NC on Saturday, April 27. The Wounded Warrior Project coordinator has put out an announcement to see if there is enough interest for another session in this area. If so, it will be the typical power tool class like we have held at Ft. Bragg in the past, and we will need volunteers to help out.

We need to have at least one experienced turner, and one experienced scroller, although two of each would be better. We also need others who can help w/ the band saw, drill press, sharpening, etc. If you have attended one of the Train-The-Trainer sessions, and can help on April 27, please let us know ASAP.

For this session we probably won't need to set up every tool from the trailer. Since I have most of the "secondary" tools already available in my shop, we should be able to get by w/ just the lathes and scroll saws from the trailer.

On a related note: We have been notified that the woodshop at Ft. Bragg/Pope AAF is being closed due to budget cuts. If anyone knows of a location in the Fayetteville area we could use, please let us know. It doesn't have to be a woodshop. All we need is some floor space and electric outlets (120v), and we promise to leave it as clean as we found it. :)

Thank You,

Bill

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm always available if you can't find anyone who's been to fewer sessions than me and needs the experience more.

Love to help out either turning with easy wood tools or the band-saw/sharpening/drill-press gig.

Actually my turning style is more to use a roughing gouge to get to round and then put in details with the EWT and a parting tool.

- Ken.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
UPDATE! This session is now a "definite" instead of a "maybe". We have 6, possibly 7, Warriors signed up.

So Mike, Ken, Jeremy, Berta, and Barbara, we definitely need your help on the 27th. If for any reason you cannot make it, please let us know ASAP.

The location is my shop in Liberty (you've all been here, but let me know if you need directions). The actual session will start around 10:00, but we'll begin setting up around 9:00 am. We'll set up the lathes and scroll saws from the trailer, but use what I already have in the shop for most of the other power tools.

As it stands right now, here is how we'll divide the work load:

Mike and Bill - lathes
Berta and Barbara - Scroll saws
Ken and Jeremy - Band saw / Drill press / Sanders / Sharpening / etc.

Please let us know if you are still coming by responding to this post.

Thanks everyone.

Bill

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
H E L P ! Right now it looks like we need 1 more volunteer for this session. Someone w/ at least intermediate turning skills would be preferable, but not absolutely necessary. There is plenty to do for everyone.

Please let me know if you can help on Saturday, April 27.

Thank you!

Bill

b4man

New User
Barbara
Come on all you Dark Siders Let's see if you can corrupt a few more poor unsuspecting souls!:rotflm:

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
One last, and final, BUMP!

We're 3 days from this event, and at least 1 volunteer short. We learned yesterday that there are now 8 Wounded Warriors signed up for this session. We have 5 NCWW volunteers.

Can you help? The ideal volunteer would be an experienced turner who has been through a Train-The-Trainer class. But it sure doesn't look like the ideal volunteer is available for this Saturday.

So right now we are open to any NCWW member who would like to participate in Outreach and work w/ a group of Wounded Warriors this Saturday.

Please let us know if you are interested.

Bill

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
Bill,

While I am not an experienced turner, my original plans for Saturday have changed and I am available. Let me know if I can help.

Steve H.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Bill, I just spoke with my wife's nurse and she can fill in for me Sat morning so I will be there at 9:00 and leave at 12:00 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors