Cabriolet Leg Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsone

New User
Ed
I have a small table that I'm planning to build and I'm trying to work out some design ideas in my head. I would like to use cabriolet legs on the front and was wondering if you guys use solid stock for that style or do you laminate smaller stock?

Monty

New User
Monty
Well, unfortunately a "cabriolet" would be a little off-topic for this forum ;) but a "cabriole" leg is generally made from solid stock. Check out this link for a little primer on how it's done. I'm not a big fan of the profile they used, but you get the idea anyway.

lottathought

New User
Michael
Well, unfortunately a "cabriolet" would be a little off-topic for this forum ;) but a "cabriole" leg is generally made from solid stock. Check out this link for a little primer on how it's done. I'm not a big fan of the profile they used, but you get the idea anyway.

Now hold on a minute!!!

I for one want to see this cabriolet leg. I suspect it is made from solid stock also...and I certainly hope it is strong enough to hold up a table. :lol:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
If you can find 14/4-16/4 stock that is dry enough to use, that would be the best choice. But that could be a lot more difficult than careful grain match and lamination of 4/4 stock. I also would think that the lanimation would provide you with a strong leg than solid stock could.
Dave:)

Monty

New User
Monty
DaveO - good point about 4/4 buildup - especially for larger legs. I found another good link also -- if you're a member of Finewoodworking online you can read this article.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Although solid wood would be my first choice, I have made several from 4/4 laminations. I have also refinished many pieces which had legs which were laminated. Keep in mind the final finish. If you are going for a clear finish, naturally a solid piece would fair much better in the end as you won't see the lamination lines in the legs. However if you are going to stain or dye the wood, there is an opportunity to hide or lessen the impact of the lamination lines. It comes down to a matter of eye appeal and how you want your piece to be finished. If you are on a wood budget, go for the lamination, otherwise, opt for the the thicker stock and make them solid. As far as strength, I don't think you will go wrong either way you choose. Just my .02

Mike

nelsone

New User
Ed
OK, my bad on using the wrong term, just thought you guys could use a little chuckle!:roll:

I am thinking of going with solid stock, preferably rift cut. The lamination idea came from being told it may be more stable. I wouldn't need much, just enough for the front legs since the back legs will probably be tapers.

Thanks for the advise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS