Cabinet Shops in Wake Forest???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redfish

New User
Matt Meadows
Hello all,

My name is Matt and I am recently graduated from Charleston Southern with my B.A., and will be moving to Wake Forest in early November to begin classes at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary (evening classes).

I am looking for anyone here who owns, works at, or can refer me to a reputable cabinet shop (residential, commercial, or both) in Wake Forest who can use someone with experience in cabinet making (face-frame and frameless) and is skilled in finishing, particularly in specialty finishes.

I'm looking forward to moving to the Triad area. I will be visiting the area on Monday and Tuesday, October 16 and 17, to scout for employment and measure up some things in our apartment on the Seminary campus (making a computer desk, bookshelves, and file drawers to fit right in place).

I can send a copy of my resume via email or fax if you would like, feel free to email me redfishsc@hotmail.com or ask here.

Thanks all! Looking forward to working with *somebody* up there.

Redfish

New User
Matt Meadows
By the way, here is some of my work. Just a sampling of what I have done recently.

European-style kitchen with bamboo veneer, finished in conversion varnish. Zebrawood toe boards and zebrawood column on the right.

bamboo_kitchen.JPG

Kitchenette in a tile distributor showroom. Cherry in cordovan stain, finished with conversion varnish.

cordovan_cherry_kitchen.JPG

European-style bathroom vanity in clear maple, finished in precatalyzed lacquer.

euro_maple_bathroom.JPG

Here is what I do during playtime. Gentlemen's fountain pen in amboyna burl, finished in conversion varnish.

amboyna_plat_gentfount1.JPG

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Can't help you with recommendations for employment, but with the beautiful work you've displayed, you shouldn't have any problems finding some. Welcome to the site and the state, glad to see you over here.
Dave:)

M

McRabbet

Mighty beautiful work, Matt -- welcome to the best woodworking site in the universe -- I'm sure with your talent, you'll be able to find a shop that needs your skills.

Rob

dozer

Mike
Hi Matt, welcome to the site always good to see a fellow IPA members moving to the area. I will find the name af the 2 cabinet makers in Wake Forest that I know of can't remember the name of the company's. You will really like the Wake Forest area and the Seminary as well.

Redfish

New User
Matt Meadows
Thanks for the comments, all.

Dozer, good to see you here.

This is obviously a great site, I'm going to like it here. Just don't tell anyone I'm in Charleston SC at the moment. I'm heading to NC as fast as I can!

Anyone willing to help me unload a small 2br apartment in exchange for some nice pizza?

Redfish

New User
Matt Meadows
Travis, about how far (mileage or minutes) would that be from Wake Forest? If it's around a 30-minute drive or less, I'd love the contact.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Depends on where you are in Wake Forest, but it is probably reasonable distance wise. I will have to check when I go to Creedmoor this weekend and I will let you know.

Redfish

New User
Matt Meadows
We will be living on campus of the Seminary there on the old WF University grounds. Thanks for the help, Travis!

Matt

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Matt,

Welcome to the website and to North Carolina. It's already been said a couple of times in this thread... I'll wager you won't have any trouble finding work. The samples you posted here are really beautiful.

Ray

gator

George
Corporate Member
There are 'Help Wanted' ads posted ocassionally on the bulletin boards at the Woodworking Store (Klingspor) and Woodcraft. You might want to check there.

George

PS: Oh, by the way, welcome to the house.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Welcome Matt and good luck on the job search. Clearly you have talent someone will employ :)

Roger

Littlejon

New User
Jon
Welcome to NC Matt! As a died-in-the-wool Southern Baptist, let me also congratulate you on the choice of Seminary schools! Since I live in the TRIAD (Greensboro, High Point, Winston Salem area), not the TRIANGLE (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill area), which you will be close to, I won't be able to help much with cabinet shops there, but with your work skills, I don't imagine you will have a lot of trouble finding something!

Best of luck to you.

Redfish

New User
Matt Meadows
Thanks for all the kind words, guys.

Littlejohn, SEBTS is a very special place-- it has come a long way.

Thanks for correcting my triangulation mistake, I did not realize that.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Look for Dick Broom. He did some kitchen work for me, while I lived in Wendell (Wake County, 30 mins or so from WF). I am not sure where his shop is located, but his work is good. Not sure if he is hiring, but a good contact never hurts.

Littlejon

New User
Jon
No big deal on the Triad/Triangle thing, just poking a little fun at you! :eusa_danc

I am sure you'll find work somewhere. You seem to have the skills to do just about anything a good cabinet maker would want.

One more thing about NC, particularly the area you'll be living in. Don't EVER get into a debate about barbeque. It is a food, not an event or a device to cook your steak on. It is also pork, NOT beef or anything else. Eastern style NC "Q" is mainly just the pork, pulled or sliced, with a vinegar-based sauce for flavor served on the side. It is not cooked with much of anything else on it. It usually comes with some brunswick stew and cornbread, but that's about it. Lexington-style (Triad area) is essentially the same, though the sauce has a tomato base to it. The "Q" is usually served with the sauce poured on it and mostly comes served on a bun. Western style "Q" is cooked in a ketchup-based sauce and is sometimes served swimming in it. IMHO, it is not very good. I have never had any good "Q" in Charlotte. Most "Q" joints served western-style and the sauces always had some unidentifiable stuff in it. Don't know why, but I just haven't found good "Q" joints down there. Some SC folks will tell you the mustard-based sauce they serve is best, but I don't see how.

Best advice I can give you is find a little hole-in-the-wall place recommended by some Baptist pastor who has been here for at least 10 years. Sample the "Q" and try out some other spots. Find one you like and use that as your measuring stick. But, whatever you do, don't EVER debate who's is best! About as likely to get you a good smack as talking about someone's momma!:)

As for the Baptist part of your experience, you will have to let me know if you will be participating in any functions. I am a Deacon at my church and usually go to the State Convention as a messenger from my church. I am also involved in Disaster Relief. Actually, I am leaving Monday morning for Gulfport for a week of working on rebuilding homes. I went last year after Katrina hit for Disaster Recovery work and decided I had to go back for the rebuilding efforts. I am sure our paths will cross in some Baptist cirlces before all is said and done. I wish you well in your calling!

Redfish

New User
Matt Meadows
Thanks Littlejohn. I'm quite familiar with NC's barbeque. My mother is a born-n-raised Lexinton lady. She is back living there now since my dad passed away about a year before I moved off to Charleston. I've eaten NC barbeque all my life (lol, we used to always bring home to SC some "supplies" from Lexington when we went to visit family).

As far as makes it best---- I dunno... I'd have to try them ALL before making that decision:icon_thum.

Tom, I will keep Mr. Broom's name in mind when I come up job scouting. Hopefully I'll come home with a phone book so I can do some serious scouting. The yellowpages online just didn't turn up much.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
look in the yellow pages for Kay and sons. they do high end cabinets and the guy that owns it is always looking for good help. he is located on forestville road.

fred p

Littlejon

New User
Jon
A future Southern Baptist preacher who knows his "Q" and likes woodworking! I think I may have to call you up when our pastor decides to retire!:-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS