CA Glue and Titebond III long term test

UncleJoe

Joe
Senior User
About 2 years ago I built a bed for my grandson out of walnut and walnut burl. I cut all the molding on my router table and I wanted to put all the trim on with no nail holes. I used Titebond III and CA glue. On each piece of trim I carefully applied the Titebond and left a few "openings" to place a few drops of CA glue. I was careful to make sure the CA glue was far from the edge so I had no squeeze out which can affect wood and prevent the finish from applying properly. The CA glue acts like a vise and holds the piece in place while the glue cures.

I was curious as to how well this technique would work. I can tell you that not having to deal with any fastener holes makes finishing a lot easier and provides a very clean look.

Today my wife is visiting the grand kids so I asked her to take a few photos so I can see how well the joints are holding up. Here they are. I am very pleased with the results. So if your making a piece with a lot of trim this is a technique you can use with some confidence

Bens Bed Footboard.jpeg
Bens Bed Headboard.jpeg
Burl .jpeg

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Seeing the Thomas the Tank Engine sheets on the bed, I would say your technique has stood up to some hard usage. Looks like it would be usable in other pieces of furniture that you don't want to show nail holes. Thanks for posting.

Roy G

UncleJoe

Joe
Senior User
Yeah, I can't say who he likes more, Thomas the Train or Fireman Sam. Its a toss up. Thanks to all for the kind words. When I used this technique I wasn't sure how it would hold up but it has been great.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS