buying pre-turned table legs

joec

joe
User
I have been talked into building a display case for a friend. He sent me to look at a table he likes and it has ornate table legs, that is beyond my capabilities and lathe length. Any recommendations of a good place to order these? It will be walnut and about 36" long.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
The best result will be from a custom woodturner in your area.
So often the walnut legs from off-the-shelf turned component suppliers offer walnut that's a conglomeration of steamed and glued-up walnut pieces. That can be distracting to the project you're doing out of regular walnut.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Pretty sure I saw some pre-turned walnut (might have been cherry) legs at Klingspor's in Cary.

Woodmolds

Tony
User
Check with this NC company. They also do custom. Minimum order is 1 leg.
I've purchased legs from them in the past very happy with quality and price.
No affiliation, just a happy customer.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I too have used Osborne, and in fact I had them do a 'custom height' leg for me - squishing down one of their existing profiles to a shorter height. Wasn't too expensive, but wasn't cheap either. I was a very a satisfied customer - and recall they offered lots of wood species.
Sounds like you may have several options.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I have been talked into building a display case for a friend. He sent me to look at a table he likes and it has ornate table legs, that is beyond my capabilities and lathe length. Any recommendations of a good place to order these? It will be walnut and about 36" long.
I'll add one more option on the other end of the state in Highlands. His name is Peter Copu. email him at office@highlandwoodandsteel.com

joec

joe
User
I am in the planning stage and will start on this in about 6 week.s One thought I had over the weekend, I may be able to turn these legs myself. They have a 10" square top, a turned center length of about 18" with beads on top and bottom (of the turned portion) and a square bottom to allow for stretchers to attach. I may cut these legs down to a joint just below one of the beads, and then put them back together after turning. I am not very experienced in turning (have a Jet Midi) but can probably handle this. I will be sure to post on this after I get started.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS