Butcher Block Countertop

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
I've been asked to help make a Butcher Block Countertops, will be my first go at making one. I've read Maple is good (but can show dents and scratches easily) and that Birch is good to hide dents and scratches.

Anybody with experience tell me what woods are good choices and which are bad? And what is a good finish to use on them?

Southern_Canuk

New User
James
I've seen teak ones before that turned out beautiful. I made a birch butcherblock at my last house and over time I seen a couple of dents in it but hard to make out, finished it with odie's oil since I wanted a matte finish.

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
I did an acacia one (sealed with epoxy) for the island at my last house, and did the back counters on the current house with teak (sealed with waterlox). The acacia was nice. And cheap. And took a good finish and looked great. The teak was a bit more. Took a good finish. And looks great.

I did hickory (tongue oil seal) at a previous abode years ago and I was very pleased with the look of it. But that was a maintenance headache. The finish required some pretty heavy maintenance (like yearly reseal for the first 5 years) and when it did get some marring, finishing that out was a real bear. It was beautiful, but a real pain in the butt to actually live with when the young'ens where still at home. May be better now that they are beating up their own countertops.

Birch may hide dents better but it will get many more of them simply because of how soft it is. I, personally, would not use it for a countertop in my house (I know how hard my family can be on the kitchen counters). Maple is useful when you need the lighter color and want more hardness. Teak will be dark. No way around that. Not as soft as birch but still pretty soft but really forgiving in working it.

Waterlox is worth the effort to do right. Looks great when done well. Epoxy gives the shiny lustrous deep looking glass finish but can take years to fully set to hardness but also in the meantime protects the wood from denting. Tongue oil (traditional, that's why I did that) was not nearly as nice looking as a finish as the others.

My 2 cents.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
I did this one a few months ago for a guy at work. Ambrosia maple with Watrlox Marine finish. I hink it will hold up fairly well

Attachments

• 10376A48-E86C-4D98-8B5B-89BD7919C98A.jpeg
    10376A48-E86C-4D98-8B5B-89BD7919C98A.jpeg
    72.5 KB · Views: 90

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I made maple cutting board style butcher block counter tops on either side of the stove at my last house. Edge grain style. I finished them with mineral oil and beeswax. I left a jar and instructions on the counter when we moved. I don’t have pictures.

NCGrimbo

NCGrimbo
Corporate Member
I think it will also depend on whether the end user plans to use it as a cutting surface or if it is just a fancy countertop. If it's just a countertop, any nice looking wood with a strong finish such as epoxy on it will be nice. If they plan to use it to cut, look at the woods most often used in cutting boards and finish it with a food safe finish.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
I made a kitchen island using hard maple with wipe on poly finish. Admittedly, it doesn't get much abuse so I can't attest to the durability of the finish; but as for the wood, I think hard maple is a durable choice.
702C22D2-8C71-4204-9A63-AA7C6992124D.jpeg
A6C4DB44-5BEA-4FAB-9F06-1E838394D2C0.jpeg

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS