Burl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
How should a piece of green burl be treated?

If I cut it to a rough shape for later use...should I treat it with anchorseal or similar waxy product to slow the drying process?

Or should just the exposed raw surface be treated so the whole burl will dry slowly?

Or just leave it alone after it is cut off the tree until it is dry?
BTW the burl is not being cut off a living tree. :saw:They will come from tree remains that have recently been cut down by a logging crew that has clear cut 60+ acres near my house. So you know I have been scrounging the ground looking for interesting pieces of wood.:icon_thum These were woods that I played/hunted/fished in as a kid.:crybaby2:

dozer

Mike
Dolan, Just treat the exposed raw surface and allow it to dry slowly. Don't be hording all the burl lol

J

jeff...

Chances are pretty high if you don't seal it up with wax it'll crack and check in a matter of a few days. If the burl is oak, it needs to dry REAL slow, that much I do know... I've heard of some folks turning wood wet and soaking in DNA, then wrapping in a paper bag to dry the wood, but I never tried it myself.

Nic, (NZAPPI) or someone else may be able to shed some light on this...

Thanks

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
Chances are pretty high if you don't seal it up with wax it'll crack and check in a matter of a few days. If the burl is oak, it needs to dry REAL slow, that much I do know... I've heard of some folks turning wood wet and soaking in DNA, then wrapping in a paper bag to dry the wood, but I never tried it myself.

Nic, (NZAPPI) or someone else may be able to shed some light on this...

Thanks

The DNA drying method works very well. I do turn it to a rough shape and about 2 to 3 times the final thickness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS