burl pricing.

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
I have a chunk of weeping cherry burl and someone wants to buy it but I dont know how to price it? any guidelines I should follow?

SabertoothBunny

SabertoothBunny
Corporate Member
Burl pricing depends on size, variation/character, and species. Cherry burls, like most other species, can be quite valuable because of the variations of the reds in the wood combined with cherry being a very good to work with for pretty much any sort of woodworking. I have seen pricing range from $0.25-2.00 on green wood by the pound to $10-25 per board foot. Cherry burls are more common around NC that other species from my experience.

It also depends on how it is cut up (assuming it is). Burls are usually cut into turning blanks because most are not big enough to do much else. Then you get into stabilized versus non-stabilized with affects price based on costs involved. Cherry pen blanks (3/4 x 3/4 x 5) tend to go for $6-10 each while larger blanks vary a lot based on the burl itself from $10-100 or more.

Bottom line is the bigger it is the more valuable. The more color variation and grain variations the more valuable. An uncut burl is a gamble as what it looks like inside plays a huge factor in the value.

This may not be much help but hopefully it helps some. Maybe check places like etsy or ebay for the sell prices of cherry burls or other specials that are similar. Maybe consider sharing a photo with something to scale the size for more advice from others.

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
Burl pricing depends on size, variation/character, and species. Cherry burls, like most other species, can be quite valuable because of the variations of the reds in the wood combined with cherry being a very good to work with for pretty much any sort of woodworking. I have seen pricing range from $0.25-2.00 on green wood by the pound to $10-25 per board foot. Cherry burls are more common around NC that other species from my experience.

It also depends on how it is cut up (assuming it is). Burls are usually cut into turning blanks because most are not big enough to do much else. Then you get into stabilized versus non-stabilized with affects price based on costs involved. Cherry pen blanks (3/4 x 3/4 x 5) tend to go for $6-10 each while larger blanks vary a lot based on the burl itself from $10-100 or more.

Bottom line is the bigger it is the more valuable. The more color variation and grain variations the more valuable. An uncut burl is a gamble as what it looks like inside plays a huge factor in the value.

This may not be much help but hopefully it helps some. Maybe check places like etsy or ebay for the sell prices of cherry burls or other specials that are similar. Maybe consider sharing a photo with something to scale the size for more advice from others.

thanks for the info

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS