Building an attic tent question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mad Scientist

New User
MS
I was planning on buying and installing a attic tent to save on heating and cooling costs, UNTIL I found out the attic tent I would need, costs over $200.
:nah:

My wife asked if I could build one out of lumber and insulation instead? So far, I raised the sides with scrap plywood and 2x6s, I had at the house leftover from other projects. The problem is the lid. I was planning on using a sheet of 3/8" plywood with fiberglass insulation attached, but wondered if the plywood would warp with the heat and cold? Is there something else I should use instead?

FlyingRon

Ron
I didn't even use lumber. I just glued a bunco of 2" rigid insulation together to beef up the scuttle which was just a sheet of drywall originally.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Welcome to NCWW! Please go over to the Who We Are section and introduce yourself so you can be included in the discounts
I built a similar insulating box out of 2x4s and 1/2" plywood with paper backed fiberglass insulation to close off a whole house attic fan from our first house when it wasn't being used. The lid was a hinged section of foamboard insulation which swings open when in use and closes automatically when the fan is off. You may do just fine with a few layers of foil backed insulation panel attached to the attic side of the access panel/door. Put in continuous weather stripping around your frame where the panel hits and call it done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS