building a new dogpen, need advice...

Status
Not open for further replies.

oderus1671

New User
chris
hello all, I need to build a dogpen that is elevated, just like a normal deck on a house. My question is , what can I treat/paint the deck (pressure treated lumber) with that will hold up to dog claws and the obvious dog mess that can be hosed off daily? I was thinking of that epoxy-based paints like garage and porch paints, but Ive never used them before. Thanks!

cskipper

Cathy
I'd offer advice, but it would be pure fiction. Our dogs are spoiled with a dog door and tempurpedic mats (of course, they are old dogs).

MikeH

New User
Mike
I'd offer advice, but it would be pure fiction. Our dogs are spoiled with a dog door and tempurpedic mats (of course, they are old dogs).

They're meant to be spoiled no matter what age. At least ours are. :-D

nelsone

New User
Ed
Use composite lumber. It's costs more up front, but no muss, no fuss. After you've refinished the wood a few times the composite will seem like a worthwhile investment!

Mtnman

New User
Talley Pollard
My experiance has been that pressure treated wood does not hold paint very well. I would just leave it natural or apply a stain if you don't want the natural look of pressure treated wood.

oderus1671

New User
chris
thanks guys, I really like the composite lumber idea, nelsone. Whats the cost difference between composite and pressure treated lumber? Any more than twice the cost may be prohibitive, but I will have to talk LOML into that:icon_thum

bman

New User
barry
decking runs about 17-25 $$$ a stick AT your Local BORG ...nice stuff but pricey

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
They're meant to be spoiled no matter what age. At least ours are. :-D

My 2 Labs are setting by me right now looking pitiful hoping some of my lunch will hit the floor and we wont discuss the the steps I built so one of them can climb into the bed easier. Their pretty spoiled also.

I would go with composite lumber, you will probably have problems with splinters in the pads of thier paws with treated lumber.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
How large is the floor area of the pen? It may be more economical as well as easier to clean by putting something over the treated lumber (not to mention protecting it from the UV rays which eat it up). If it is not too wide, strips of the rubber runner strip may be an option. Farm supply places also have super heavy duty stall flooring made from old auto tires that will last for years and can be sprayed off with a hose and are easy on the pads (or hooves, etc)

Just some thoughts

Go

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I second the recommendation to use stall mats inside the pen. They are easy to clean and maintain, easy on your pets paws, and recommended by my Vet (who also happens to be my wife!).

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS