Build a tool box/tote

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
IMG_2458.JPG

A lot of folks have seen this old tool box I use all the time. I made it back in 1978, it is very simple to make and only takes a few hours and a couple 1x10 pine boards. You can easily adjust the size and add any features you like.

Bill and I were talking at lunch Yesterday and decided it may make a good workshop for beginning wood workers.

Or you more experienced artists could take it to the extreme and use exotic hard woods, carve designs, stain, paint or dyes, whatever suits your fancy.

What do you think?

Glennbear

Glenn
I like the idea. I have a very similar box that my Dad made many years ago replete with an old broomstick handle. This box is one of the most special things in my shop because of it's history and memories including the splashes of a gaudy green paint that was used on the exterior of the family home decades ago. :wsmile:

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
I have two similar tool totes. One my dad talked me through making that honestly (now) I wish he had helped more with but he wanted me to do by myself, and the one he made that mine vaguely resembles.
These are a great project. For the time and money invested, these are a great start into woodworking.
Ages ago I gave my son a hammer, saw, and some other basic tools, then he used the tools to make his own tool box. I also helped the scouts in my son's troop that worked on their woodworking merit badge make their own. Some of those boys really took the project seriously.
Glenn that green should go great with the infamous peach once so often touted on here.

09woodie22

New User
Gabe
GREAT idea... should draw a crowd. I had to redo mine since (ignorantly) I made it out of leftover 5/8 ply and a 1" oak handle -- had to weigh 20#. How silly. :rolleyes:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
So, most folks already have one and no responses from any beginners who want to learn or work together to make one.

Is that what I'm seeing or am i reading this wrong?

One deluxe dovetail box interest noted...

Anyone want to learn slant side dovetailed boxes?

kave

Kettrell
Corporate Member
Mike, I'd love to participate in this tool box/tote workshop. My problem is I'm 2 hours away from you. Just don't see how I can do it logistically.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looks like Liberty is still about a 2 hour drive from Clinton but it is a straight shot up 421.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
GREAT idea... should draw a crowd. I had to redo mine since (ignorantly) I made it out of leftover 5/8 ply and a 1" oak handle -- had to weigh 20#. How silly. :rolleyes:

So, what materials would one use to make a lighter but durable tool box? I'll admit I was thinking ply and oak in the beginning.
Thanks,

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I was thinking 1/2 inch white oak for the center board, 3/4 white oak for the ends, and 3/8 white oak for the long sides and bottom.

Or 3/4 yellow pine for everything like my old one, it has held up well for 35 years.

I need to build a mock up, there may be a way to build where everything locks together.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
White Oak would be nice. But poplar might be easier to cut the dovetails in. And a Milk Paint finish is somewhat traditional. I wouldn't want to paint White Oak. That would be Blasphemy. Poplar would be a little lighter I expect, though loaded with tools you won't notice the weight of the wood too much.

Are you planning a center board rather than a dowel handle or both?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Either.

Roys tool tote has a center board, mine has a turned rod handle, I have also seen a 1x2 handle.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
WIA is Sept. 12-14; MWTCA is Sept. 20; and I believe Klingspor Extravaganza is Oct. 17-18. All other Saturdays are open for me.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
All other Saturday's limits it somewhat, doesn't it. I too am booked up lately. Even forgot about MWTCA.

Busy is good though.

Volksdad

New User
Glen
Depending on the date, and I'd like to attend. We are closing on a home in Holly Springs next month though...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS