Bridgewood Wide Belt Sander Rebuild

wsrhue

wyattspeightrhue
User
Last year I picked up a wide belt sander from an estate that had been sitting for 15 years. With help from a couple members here we were able to replace all of the air lines that had disintegrated. We got 6 months of use and now one of the diaphragms is leaking. Talked with Powermatic and they do not believe they can replace the part. I have talked with someone in Texas that works on machines and you cannot get the rubber diaphragm anymore??? He suggested trying to use spray Flex Seal to repair the gasket. Has anybody had to rebuild the diaphragms for a wide belt sander. Do you have any advice or know of a company that works on them? Any help is greatly appreciated.

cobraguy

Clay
Corporate Member
Not sure if they work on those in particular, nor costs, but you could try J&S Tool Repair in Raleigh or J&G Machinery in Sanford.

Echd

C
User
How complex is the part and it is a more ordinary elastomer or rubber?

It may be a good candidate for replacement by a 3d printed part.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I would try the Flex Seal, that stuff is amazing! Besides, what’s the worst that could happen?

Madmaxnkitty

New User
Rick
2nd the note for 3D printing a replacement using TPU or the like. It would depend on the complexity, pressure, and operating temperatures, but it could be worth a try...especially if something like Flex Seal is a serious suggestion.

wolfsburged

New User
Bill
I have no idea what this part looks like, but wondering if it could be rebuilt with some generic rubber sheet material? Post photos.

Or possibly take to an automotive remanufacturer, similar to a brake booster?

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Wyatt, (@wsrhue) do you have to fix the diaphragm? (in place...)

In other words can you buy a similar diaphragm and mount it somewhere else on the machine and simply route the airlines to it?

riggsp

Phil
Corporate Member
Check with one of the other manufacturers...Grizzly, Woodtec, Shopfox, etc...those that are made in Taiwan more likely than not, use the same parts.

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
Are you referring to the diaphragm that is controlling the belt oscillation? My little wide belt (16"Leneave, aka Powermatic) appears to have just one mambrane (enclosed on a metal housing). Not sure what part you are referring to. Can you post a picture?

Bernhard

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Are you referring to the diaphragm that is controlling the belt oscillation? My little wide belt (16"Leneave, aka Powermatic) appears to have just one mambrane (enclosed on a metal housing). Not sure what part you are referring to. Can you post a picture?

Bernhard
Thats the only diaphragm inside the machine. Leaneave out of charlotte may be a good resource to check. It appears that machine is a current model, but as someone else mentioned, these are all chinese machines ( I have the Bridgewood model) many manufacturers carry the same or very similar parts. I checked Grizzly and the diaphragm is missing from their parts list. Leneave has a North State badged version however and it seems to be a current offering so they may be able to track down a a part. Im going to follow this closely to hear if Leneave can supply parts for this machine, since for me they are closeby.

wsrhue

wyattspeightrhue
User
Here is the part in question. The diagram has a rubber gasket that moves a piston which controls the oscillation. We actually are questioning the blue switching valve on top as well?

Attachments

• tempImagePQUTNL.png
    tempImagePQUTNL.png
    13.6 MB · Views: 106

wsrhue

wyattspeightrhue
User
Thats the only diaphragm inside the machine. Leaneave out of charlotte may be a good resource to check. It appears that machine is a current model, but as someone else mentioned, these are all chinese machines ( I have the Bridgewood model) many manufacturers carry the same or very similar parts. I checked Grizzly and the diaphragm is missing from their parts list. Leneave has a North State badged version however and it seems to be a current offering so they may be able to track down a a part. Im going to follow this closely to hear if Leneave can supply parts for this machine, since for me they are closeby.
we checked with Powermatic and they did not think that their part would have the right size fittings? I'll give Lenveave a call as well. thanks.

wsrhue

wyattspeightrhue
User

Bernhard

I believe there is a 2 diaphragms, one pushes it one way and the other returns the roller. But I do believe it's the larger diaphragm that's visible when you open the door that's in question. I have post a photo. I'll be making more calls today

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
that exact diaphragm may not be available, but you should be able to replace that with similar type components. the folks at J & G can definitely help you. Whether it's cost effective I can't say, but those are pretty standard components used on all wide belt sanders. leneave also would have imported the same type machine and may have some ideas.

worst case scenario would be to just order a complete tracking system from say grizzly or safety speed cut and then re-engineer it to fit your machine.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS