Brad Nailer??

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidF

New User
David
If I was in the market for a cheap, infequently used nailer that is sized for attaching mouldings, building shop jigs etc, to hold things together while glue set, that would do up 1 1/2" but as small as say 3/4" what size would I need? 16G,18G, smaller, bigger?? What is the difference between a "nailer", a "Brad nailer" and a "finish nailer" is there a good all rounder for those jobs where it would be nice to have one. HF seem to have some for $19!!!

woodguy1975

New User
John
I'd just go with an 18 gage brad nailer. That is plenty for most jobs and leaves a small hole. HF has a 3/8 to 2" nailer that is a really good bargain.

Finish nailers are 16-15 gage. These are too big for most uses.

Good Luck,

John

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
I had an 18 ga nailer from HF. It worked just fine. There's another woodworker just down the street who has had several of the HF nailers... and he never had a problem either. When they put one on sale, you just can't beat the price. I think I paid $15 for the one I got.

Ray

DaveO

New User
DaveO
If you are looking for something to hold things together till the glue dries 18 ga. will do great. I got one from HF that works well, but can leave a mark where the nose contacts the wood. It will also shoot narrow crown staples, double bang for the buck. I also have a PC finish nailer 16ga. that is better for things like hanging moldings in the house. I think that the difference between the names is the size of the wire and head. Finish nailers are generally 16 ga. and have a pronounced head. Brad nailers are generally 18-20 ga. and have a smaller head. Pin nailers are 22 ga. or smaller and have no head. HTH
Dave:)

M

McRabbet

I've got a trio of Porter-Cable air nailers -- FR350 for Framing Nails up to 3-1/2"; FN250 for 16 Ga Finish Nails up to 2-1/2" and a BN125 for 18 Ga Brad Nails up to 1-1/4" -- latter two came with a free compressor for $299. Very reliable and used a-plenty! I wouldn't recommend the FR350 for attaching moldings, though -- definitely not a brad it shoots! :lol: , but all three are very reliable and do not mar the surface when set properly -- just be aware of grain direction to avoid blow-outs (DAMHIKT).

Rob

DaveO

New User
DaveO
That's the same on I have, you should have gotten a good selection of brads and staples with it. I know that HF sells the brads/staples to go in it, but you should be able to find something that will work at the BORGs.
Dave:)

DavidF

New User
David
In my joy at finding a new tool so cheap I forgot to order any nails and I see they have reduced 5000 from $19.99 to $9.99 should have ordered then and only paid a little more shipping. :BangHead: Duh.. I don't know what sizes so I guess I'll get a pack of some middle ish sizes

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Must be a pretty serious nailer to have you talking to yourself AND answering yourself!! (I do that a lot myself but never tried it on the internet!):lol:

sapwood

New User
Roger
So David, I guess this is a GLOAT :cool:

Enjoy, but remember it isn't a gun. Don't try shoot at the deer, rabbits, and pesky penguins :lol:

Sapwood

clowman

Clay Lowman
Just go out in the shop, and do what my son does.. he holds the nailer to things, pulls the trigger and goes ... "PSSSSSSTTTTAAAK". Then he rubs his finger over the "nail" and goes... "Pretty good"

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Well you deserve a courtesy YOU SUCK!

I can't pull the page you sent because of where I am at, but I do remember my first brad nailer. Got it at Big Lots for $20. PITA to change nail sizes as you had to realign two bars every time. LOML made me get rid of it after I shot myself in the hand with it while I was holding it and fiddling with trying to get some molding lined up as it did not have a safety.

They do make life a lot easier, and once you get one, you will have to have another. All 18 guage brads are pretty interchangeable IIRC.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
when I ordered my nailer from HF, they actually recommeded the PC nails to go with it, instead of their cheap ones... reduced instances of misfire was their reasoining.

DavidF

New User
David
I will give a review once a few nails have gone in. This is Sooooo American!!! can't wait:lol::lol: I used to watch NYWS with Norm years ago when we used to come over on holiday and the Brad nailer was just a dream in the UK - now here I am with my own....

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
When I ordered mine, I am pretty sure I ordered the $40 nailer (on sale for 20), and they shipped the $65 nailer. wishing you the same luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS