Brad Nailer Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
I bought a Bostitich brad nailer from tooliday a while back but have only run a few test brads through it until yesterday. I was planning on using it to finish up a project for my daughter but after about 4 brads it seemd to mis-fire. Pulling the trigger again only resulted in air escaping. I opened it up and there was a brad half fired which I removed. Problem is that it still won't fire. When I drepress the tip and pull the trigger It just lets air escape.... Any idea what happened? I know nothing about the inner workings of air-nailers...

Thanks,

Travis

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Open it back up and use a punch or what have you to push the driver back up as far as you can. shoot some lube on it while it is open.[wd40 or the like] It should misfire once after you close it up then be fine. Is this an oiled gun or oiless? they make both and the oiled ones do this when you forget to oil them. I don't have any oiless bostich nailers.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Oilless... am I opening the magazine or the front bit that gives you access to the depth control mechanism?

Thanks!

Travis

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
yes. the nose where the nails come out. may be a quick release or may be allen screws. same place you cleared the jam.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
yes. the nose where the nails come out. may be a quick release or may be allen screws. same place you cleared the jam.

Ok, for that I just opened up the magazine (for lack of a better word) where I'd normall load the brads... I looked around yesterday and didn't see anything out of place but I'll look again. I assume it would be directly above where the nail was?

Travis

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
sorry for the poor pic but you will get it.:gar-Bi

bst.JPG

ss600r

New User
Steve
Sometimes with mine I have to physically push the nails up just a tad to get them to seat correctly again. Its just a hair but it makes a diff.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Be CERTAIN you are using the right brads/nails for that gun. I've got two Bostich guns and they DON'T use the same style brads/nails. :nah::nah:

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Hey Travis, I've got several nail guns, and while they can be very useful, they can also frustrate you sometimes. As Reggie said, first make sure you're using the correct brads. Since this is a new gun, you're probably using the ones that came with it, so they are more than likely the right ones. If not, double check that.

If that's not it, you probably have a jam in the tip, where the brads come out and enter the wood, as in the pic Fred posted. You need to open up the very front end of the gun. It may have a quick release, or require an allen wrench. If you're lucky, the jammed brad will just fall out when you open it up. If not, you will have to dig it out. I've used all kinds of "implements" to do this: needle nose pliers, an awl, screwdriver, whatever works. Once you clear the jam, button everything back up and reload the brads. Make sure you put a full "sleeve" of brads in. I've found with some of my guns that when I get down to just a few brads, I seem to get more jams.

HTH, Bill

Glennbear

Glenn
Having recently undergone a similar wrestling match with my brad nailer I was going to comment but everybody has already covered all of my methods and suggestions :gar-La; Best of luck getting it working right again. :wsmile:

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Thanks for the great responses everyone! I'm now much more versed in nail gun anatomy and physiology thanks to all the great responses and advice.

The winner is...... *drumroll*

Open it back up and use a punch or what have you to push the driver back up as far as you can.

Fred nailed it! :eusa_clap Once I knew what I was looking at it was pretty obvious the driver was stuck. Working like a champ now!!! :eusa_danc:eusa_danc

Travis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS