Boy Scout Woodworker merit badge

Status
Not open for further replies.

peteb301

Pete
Corporate Member
I have been asked to teach some Boy Scouts to help them earn their merit badges in woodworking. They have provided me with a list of items that must be accomplished for them to earn the badge, looks like it will take more than a few days time.
Has anyone out there done this before ?? any advice you can offer ??
Things to be aware of ??
I don't intend to use ANY power tools or permit them to use any power tools. Hand tools ONLY. Schedule is some time in July , so I have a little time to prepare.
I am open to calling you and discussing if you will send me your phone # via private message OR please post here.
Thanks
Pete

gator

George
Corporate Member
I'm sure Mike Davis will chime in. He has done a lot of BSA/WW stuff.

George

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I started the process, some of the boys finished the first project, none wanted to do the second.

I was not going to cut out bird houses and let them nail them together. That is for cubs. They didn't want to do real work so I dropped it.

Hope you have better luck with your boys.

The only advice I can offer is to take 3 or 4 at a time. Any more than that and you can't watch them.

Here are the official requirements.

Requirements

Do the following:
a. Show that you know first aid for injuries that could occur while woodworking, including splinters, scratches, cuts, severe bleeding, and shock. Tell what precautions must be taken to help prevent loss of eyesight or hearing, and explain why and when it is necessary to use a dust mask.

b. Earn the Totin' Chip recognition.

c. Tell your counselor what precautions you take to safely use your tools.

Do the following:

a. Describe how timber is grown, harvested, and milled. Tell how lumber is cured, seasoned, graded, and sized.

b. Collect and label blocks of six kinds of wood useful in woodworking. Describe the chief qualities of each. Give the best uses of each.

Do the following:

a. Show proper care, use, and storage of all working tools and equipment that you own or use at home or school.

b. Sharpen correctly the cutting edges of two different tools.
Using a saw, plane, hammer, brace, and bit, make something useful of wood. Cut parts from lumber that you have squared and measured from working drawings.
Create your own carpentry project. List the materials you will need to complete your project, and then build your project. Keep track of the time you spend and the cost of the materials.

Do any TWO of the following:

a. Make working drawings of a project needing - (1) Beveled or rounded edges OR curved or incised cuttings, OR (2) Miter, dowel, or mortise and tenon joints. Build this project.

b. Make something for which you have to turn duplicate parts on a lathe.

c. Make a cabinet, box or something else with a door or lid fastened with inset hinges.

d. Help make and repair wooden toys for underprivileged children; OR help carry out a carpentry service project approved by your counselor for a charitable organization.
Talk with a cabinetmaker or carpenter. Find out about the training, apprenticeship, Career opportunities, work conditions, pay rates, and union organization for woodworking experts in your area.

MORE SOURCES OF INFO:

http://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php?title=Woodwork

peteb301

Pete
Corporate Member
Thanks Mike , I was thinking bird house, not knowing the boys or what talent they have or don't have. Are they supposed to select the project ? or is it something I assign based on their talents ?

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Pete, I have never done one of these but if you need an extra to help work with the kids I would love to help out. Just PM me and let's see if we can work out some dates.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Are they supposed to select the project ? or is it something I assign based on their talents ?

The first one you can supply working drawings, the second one they have to design.

The last two are their choice from a. b. c. d. in the last section.

So, they have to do 4 projects all together and at least one of them they have to draw first.

peteb301

Pete
Corporate Member
Scott
Thanks for the offer, I will gladly accept it. As soon as I can work out dates and how many kids , etc. I'll be in touch.
Or better yet post it here , maybe we can intice another person or two to work one on one with the kids. :eusa_danc

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Scott
Thanks for the offer, I will gladly accept it. As soon as I can work out dates and how many kids , etc. I'll be in touch.
Or better yet post it here , maybe we can intice another person or two to work one on one with the kids. :eusa_danc

I am sure we can talk Bas into it as long s we can assure him the dark side will stay under covers.:rolf:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS