Bow front Vanity - Advice or build resources?

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
All:
Although I have built a few cabinets, I have not built a dresser. But I am hoping to build a bow front vanity (furniture style) for our bathroom renovation. At this point I am considering concepts more than exact designs - but I am happy to see either.

Anyone seen plans or build resources for such a thing? Any advice?

Either I build
1. a dresser or buffet looking piece - furniture style, using undermount slides for the drawers (spousal requirement). But this dresser could have lots of plywood.
2. a combo of traditional cabinets - modified to accommodate the curved front.
Either option likely needs curved doors, and / or curved drawer faces. I was just looking at a site that offered both curved doors and drawers - EDIT - I found it - Walzcraft.com (Curved Cabinet Doors & Radius Products).

Last edited:

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
All:
... But I am hoping to build a bow front vanity (furniture style) for our bathroom renovation. At this point I am considering concepts more than exact designs - but I am happy to see either.

Please, when you start this great project, log your work and photo your progress, would you build out a "how-to" record for our Resource forum?

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Please, when you start this great project, log your work and photo your progress, would you build out a "how-to" record for our Resource forum?
Yes I try to provide important details for most posts I have on builds, but I have not created any real step-by-step resources

skiz2331

Mike
User
I did a double bow front (or demilune) vanity a while back.

Attachments

• IMG_1457.JPG
    IMG_1457.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1463.jpg
    IMG_1463.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1464_renamed_29880.jpg
    IMG_1464_renamed_29880.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1469_renamed_32612.jpg
    IMG_1469_renamed_32612.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1573.jpg
    IMG_1573.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 46

skiz2331

Mike
User
Yes all laminations finished with veneer. I used all 1/8 bendy poplar laminations and urea resin to give them maximum rigidity.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Yes all laminations finished with veneer. I used all 1/8 bendy poplar laminations and urea resin to give them maximum rigidity.
Did you purchase bendy ply? I have never looked for that - where did you buy? How thick were your panels?
Any tricks or advice on curved rails?

skiz2331

Mike
User
Did you purchase bendy ply? I have never looked for that - where did you buy? How thick were your panels?
Any tricks or advice on curved rails?
Yes it is a plywood that can be purchased. It's an Italian faced plywood that can be ordered in 4x8 or 8x4 sheets depending what direction you need it to bend. I haven't purchased it since moving to NC, but I would think Rugy or Wurth would carry it. I was able to use this on this project because I lumber banded the edges and then veneered. I have done another that was stile and rail and used 1/8" laminations on solid soft maple. Used a "saddle" with the inside radius matching the outside radius of the rail to be coped. I generally make a radiused applied molding for the inner profile. If you try to run it with the profile it can get washed out if the radius is too small.

Attachments

• 298.jpg
    298.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 25

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Nice - the two pics you have shown are closest to what i had imagined making, except for us the piece will be 'freestanding' not be wall to wall.

Thanks for the pointers and sharing your experience - I need to digest the possibilities and 'MAYBE decide on an approach (I need basic design first though). I'll try to post when I have an approach and then you'll be able to see all the pitfalls (haha).

skiz2331

Mike
User
Nice - the two pics you have shown are closest to what i had imagined making, except for us the piece will be 'freestanding' not be wall to wall.

Thanks for the pointers and sharing your experience - I need to digest the possibilities and 'MAYBE decide on an approach (I need basic design first though). I'll try to post when I have an approach and then you'll be able to see all the pitfalls (haha).
Absolutely. I don't mind doing quick CAD details if that helps. Ha! and I just read my previous reply. The company is Rugby not Rugy. 😂

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS