Bosch SCMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

zinfella

New User
Carl Stone
I'm looking for comments on the Bosch sliding compound miter saws, 10" & 12". Thanks in advance.

tonyps

New User
Tony
Afternoon,

I have had the the 10" model for 6 months or so, have not had any problems with it to date.
Comments:
The blade that ships with it is not the best, but it suffices.
The dust bag makes for a nice decoration, but you would be much better off attaching a vacum/dust collector or building a catcher...
I recently purchased an after market laser for it, works like a champ!

Best to all,

Tony ...

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I don't have one, but was thinking about it. The Amazon reviews are all over the place. One supposed "Professional" really slammed it. He said it would never stay aligned, etc. Other people love it.

rhett

New User
rhett
I use this saw to put prefinished crown/lightrail on cabinets during installs. This is by far the best slider on the market. I love seeing all the trim carpenters drool over it when I pull it out of the truck. What really makes it shine are that all the controlls are up front so there is no reaching around the back. It has positive stops at all important angles in both directions and has a really nice micro adjustment feature for those out of square scenerios. Not to mention it is belt driven. I does have a hefty price tag, but it is in a league by itself IMHO. Buy it and you wont be dissappointed. I should work for Bosch:-D .

zinfella

New User
Carl Stone
I don't have one, but was thinking about it. The Amazon reviews are all over the place. One supposed "Professional" really slammed it. He said it would never stay aligned, etc. Other people love it.

My experience is that Amazon reviews are pretty much worthless unless you know the reviewer, and can put trust in what he says. People post unwarrented reviews on Amazon daily, who knows what their problem is?

zinfella

New User
Carl Stone
My experience is that Amazon reviews are pretty much worthless unless you know the reviewer, and can put trust in what he says. People post unwarrented reviews on Amazon daily, who knows what their problem is?

That's more or less what Fine Woodworking says about it, but I still like to get owners opinions. I had a Makita 1013, that I sold. It was a nice saw, but I'm getting ready to replace it, and the Bosch has my attention. I need to go put a tape to one to see how much room I need to the rear to clear the shop wall.

PurpleThumb

New User
Jerry
One of the finest "trim " contractors I use had a new one he "gave away" for $150 because he couldn't get it to stay in alignment. He replaced it with a Dewalt and has bought 4 since then. Of course he and I are really "pickey" about joints that fit.

chris99z71

New User
Chris
You may wish to consider the equivalent in a Hitachi as well. I know several here have some variant of the Hitachi saw and are happy with it. It's in the same price range.
Just my $0.01

zinfella

New User
Carl Stone
One of the finest "trim " contractors I use had a new one he "gave away" for $150 because he couldn't get it to stay in alignment. He replaced it with a Dewalt and has bought 4 since then. Of course he and I are really "pickey" about joints that fit.

My miter saw would not be moving to and from job sites, so my guess is that maintaining alignment would not an issue. But, I've never owned, or even used the Bosch, so that's only a guess. My Malita did dead accurate miters, and I prolly should not have sold it, but it's just one of the many things that I should not have done in my life. :lol:

tom hintz

New User
Tom Hintz
I have had the Bosch 4410 and 4410L in the shop for quite a while now and love this saw. Very accurate, handles just about any compound cut I have encountered, plenty of power, everything I have needed. And, it's built very well so it holds alignments, so far, forever.
I have a review of this saw (and a few other miter saws) in my Tool Reviews section, the link below is to the latest Bosch 4410L.

Bosch #4410L Laser-Equipped SCMS Review - NewWoodworker.com LLC

4yanks

New User
Willie
I have the 12" and I love it. All the stops were dead on out of the box. The blade that came with it was adequate. Dust collection is marginal at best. Overall I am very happy.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
If you can wait a bit Kapex by Festool is rumored to be here soon.

A Sliding Compund Miter Saw with dust control, soft start, moves on linear bearings, mounts close to the wall, double laser, 4 11/16" flat stock cutting depth, 6 5/8" crown height and if they stay true to form ~1.5-2 times the price of current competitors. Since this is not so different from the pack it should not take long to get UL/CSA approval.

Festool IPT
has detailed photos in use.
http://www.festool.co.za/images/artikel/Download_Brochure_KAPEX.pdf
has English details.

zinfella

New User
Carl Stone
I have had the Bosch 4410 and 4410L in the shop for quite a while now and love this saw. Very accurate, handles just about any compound cut I have encountered, plenty of power, everything I have needed. And, it's built very well so it holds alignments, so far, forever.
I have a review of this saw (and a few other miter saws) in my Tool Reviews section, the link below is to the latest Bosch 4410L.

Bosch #4410L Laser-Equipped SCMS Review - NewWoodworker.com LLC

Thanks Tom, helpful review.

zinfella

New User
Carl Stone
If you can wait a bit Kapex by Festool is rumored to be here soon.

A Sliding Compund Miter Saw with dust control, soft start, moves on linear bearings, mounts close to the wall, double laser, 4 11/16" flat stock cutting depth, 6 5/8" crown height and if they stay true to form ~1.5-2 times the price of current competitors. Since this is not so different from the pack it should not take long to get UL/CSA approval.

Festool IPT
has detailed photos in use.
http://www.festool.co.za/images/artikel/Download_Brochure_KAPEX.pdf
has English details.

I'm aware of the Kapex, but I had not seen that PDF, thanks. Knowing how long it can take to get a new Festool into the US market, I don't think it will be anytime soon for the Kapex. While I don't doubt that it will be a fine saw, I don't think it will be in the same price range as the Bosch or Makita.

BillPappas

New User
Bill
I have had my 10 inch almost 2 years and it is great. I tend to use it to break down rough lumber to length mostly. I would use it for more tasks but do not have room in the shop to keep it setup all the time. You will enjoy usng it as it is a fine piece of machinery. :icon_thum

Regards,

Bill

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
If HD still has the Ridgid MSUV (Miter Saw Utility Vehicle) on sale for $99, you may want to grab one if you need a mobile stand complete with extension rollers. Its a good buy at $99 but a bit steep at the usual(now) $199. Its probably one of the easiest to use mobile stands around and only takes about 30 seconds to go from mobile to upright ready to saw. (Some initial assy required like putting on the wheels, etc)
Still using an old craftsman 8 1/2" slider myself so can't comment on the saw itself.

Go

Rocker

New User
John
I've had a Bosch for years now and I love it. It is accurate, reliable, smooth to operate and has done every conceivable compound miter easily. My only complaint is with the dust control...but that is common to every model. There just doesn't seem to be a good way to collect the saw dust. I saw a plastic hood that fits behind the saw and claims to eliminat the problem, but the thing cost more than I was willing to spend, so I just use a dustpan and brush.
John (Rocker)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS