Bosch REXX vs SawStop JSS-MCA

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgt1942

John
User
I’m considering replacing my Dewalt 10 Woodworker’s Table Saw with 30 Rails – DW746X with either the Bosch REXX or SawStop JSS-MCA and looking for suggestions. I’m leaning toward the REXX mainly because if the safety is triggered all you do is replace the cartridge or reverse it. In the SawStop it is necessary to replace the cartridge, the break and possibly the blade.

Matt Furjanic

Matt
Senior User
I have a sawstop pro, and I love it. Not just for the safety, but a great well built saw. On the other hand I have a couple Bosch routers which are great, but I also have a Bosch miter saw which I think is a piece of junk. Cant speak for their table saw, but if its the same quality as the chop saw, I wouldnt buy it.

jgt1942

John
User
Matt, which Bosch miter saw do you own? I'm considering the Bosch GCM12SD. The only negative I see is lack dual lasers. Yes you can add a single laser. This is a nit but I like using the lasers.

I had considered the big saw that you have but at more than twice the cost I don't know if I'd get the value. The Dewalt DW746X has been great for me but as I get older I want the extra safety.

As I understand if you use dado blades in the SawStop you have to use a different break. I'm not sure if this is true with the Bosch REXX.

I have a Bosch MRC23EVSK 2.3HP Plunge-Fixed Base Router and have been super pleased with it. I also have two Porter Cable routers and one very old craftsman.

jgt1942

John
User
nn4jw - great links!
I see a few available on Amazon and a few cartridges, they may not last long. I'll have to check in about a month after my move, as you say it may be academic.

Matt Furjanic

Matt
Senior User
Matt, which Bosch miter saw do you own? I'm considering the Bosch GCM12SD. The only negative I see is lack dual lasers. Yes you can add a single laser. This is a nit but I like using the lasers.

I had considered the big saw that you have but at more than twice the cost I don't know if I'd get the value. The Dewalt DW746X has been great for me but as I get older I want the extra safety.

As I understand if you use dado blades in the SawStop you have to use a different break. I'm not sure if this is true with the Bosch REXX.

I have a Bosch MRC23EVSK 2.3HP Plunge-Fixed Base Router and have been super pleased with it. I also have two Porter Cable routers and one very old craftsman.

I dunno which model it is, as it is at my daughter's house at the moment, which we we are just using for framing right now. It is about a 10 year old model - no laser...

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
SawStop guy at the Klingspor Grand Opening said that Bosch had some issues about cell phones and triggers for their saw brakes. One vendor talking about the competition? I'm not endorsing either. But the SawStop guy was kind enough to let me have the blade and brake after his demo. I'll use it in class demos. Offered to the faculty that teach dynamics as well.

Wyatt Co.

New User
Bill
SawStop guy at the Klingspor Grand Opening said that Bosch had some issues about cell phones and triggers for their saw brakes.

They had no such issues. The "SawStop" guy was handing you bull. SawStop is all Nazi about not allowing other manufacturers to sell saws with similar safety technology. I won't buy SawStop based on principal.

Lowlander

New User
Chris
The international trade commission ceased (banned) all importation of Bosch's reaxx table saw because of so called trade infringements. It's a court battle not engineering mistake on Bosch. As far as machines go, the Saw Stop is "Very Nice".

redknife

New User
Chris
In the SawStop it is necessary to replace the cartridge, the break and possibly the blade.
Just to clarify, the SawStop cartridge is the brake, so you have to concern yourself with the blade and the cartridge. IME the blade is reliably trashed if the stop is activated. Keep in mind the activated cartridge aluminum is placed in the path of the spinning blade teeth, thus absorbing the substantial force necessary to stop the blade. One time after the cartridge activated I could not pull the blade and cartridge apart, even off the saw. The aluminum appears to compress and mushroom. So figure a new blade and cartridge if the cartridge stop is activated. Yes, the dado cartridge is different as it has to engage smaller radius blade(s).

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member
They had no such issues. The "SawStop" guy was handing you bull. SawStop is all Nazi about not allowing other manufacturers to sell saws with similar safety technology. I won't buy SawStop based on principal.

Patent protection is a basic constitutional principle. Nazi?

Wyatt Co.

New User
Bill
Patent protection is a basic constitutional principle. Nazi?

SawStop over patented every aspect of what they were trying to do....... trying to achieve. Along with with creating a safer product for the consumer, they were also trying to secure a market. Bosch did not infringe on ANY of the design details of the SawStop, except for two. It sensed flesh and it stopped the blade. SawStop went out of their way, in the very beginning, to ensure NO ONE ELSE in the industry could do this. That is a crock of horse padookie! Especially when the founder is all about wanting "safety" this and "safety" that. All kinds of talk about JUST wanting people to keep their appendages and reducing accidents....all the while making it to where "me, and only me" can profit from it.

I have zero respect for him or the company. NONE. I've been following this crap from the very beginning.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Nazi is a strong word that gets tossed around much to often and much to easily.

Until they start marching millions of people into gas chambers you should choose some other insult.

As an inventor I believe in strong patents and strong patent enforcement.

Seventeen years goes by much quicker than you expect, development is costly, acceptance is slow, and while I don't own a Saw Stop I respect the effort needed to bring new technology to market. Others will follow in time and perhaps our primitive antiques will be outlawed, maybe people will wonder why they were ever used at all.

Or maybe laser technology will get so cheap and common that table saws will be obsolete.

Meanwhile refrain from personal attacks on this forum.

Wyatt Co.

New User
Bill
The word 'nazi' is recognized as a slang term birthed by internet discussion forums back in the late '90's. Anywho...

I think you're missing the point of my disapproval of the way Saw Stop has handled things from the beginning.

My opinion on the matter stands firm.

And sir, if you could point me to the personal attack I'd greatly appreciate it. Seeing it would help me from replicating such in the future.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
The word 'nazi' is recognized as a slang term birthed by internet discussion forums back in the late '90's. Anywho...

I think you're missing the point of my disapproval of the way Saw Stop has handled things from the beginning.

My opinion on the matter stands firm.

And sir, if you could point me to the personal attack I'd greatly appreciate it. Seeing it would help me from replicating such in the future.

We all get that you dislike SawStop and they way they have handled their patents and that is perfectly fine. No one it trying to force you to change your opinion. It is the choice of words that many have objected to. Below was copied from our posting guidelines.

1. Any topic that may cause heated debate or hostility between members or violates that “spirit” is to be forbidden.
  2. The following will almost always be considered to be in violation of the our goals
  3. Expressions of bigotry and intolerance, including negative comments or direct attacks based on race, religion, sex, or sexual preference.

• "Code words", phrases, or other content that attempt to disguise expressions of bigotry and intolerance
  • Personal attacks by name or implication
  • Harsh or offensive comments
  • Argumentative behavior
  • Profane, Vulgar, or Obscene Language or any representation of such language.
  • Political content.
  • Religious content.
  • Controversial topics of any form except, of course, woodworking.
  • Sexual content or innuendo, no matter how mild
  • Illegal activities of any sort
  • Posted links to prohibited material.
  • Political and/or legal issues.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
SawStop over patented every aspect of what they were trying to do....... trying to achieve. Along with with creating a safer product for the consumer, they were also trying to secure a market. Bosch did not infringe on ANY of the design details of the SawStop, except for two. It sensed flesh and it stopped the blade. SawStop went out of their way, in the very beginning, to ensure NO ONE ELSE in the industry could do this. That is a crock of horse padookie! Especially when the founder is all about wanting "safety" this and "safety" that. All kinds of talk about JUST wanting people to keep their appendages and reducing accidents....all the while making it to where "me, and only me" can profit from it.

I have zero respect for him or the company. NONE. I've been following this crap from the very beginning.

Sensing flesh is a new and unique idea, worth a patent on its own.

Stopping the blade to prevent injury is a new and unique idea on its own.

Those are the very essence of the invention and patent. The method is beside the point.

The whole concept of patent is to secure profit from an invention.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
The word 'nazi' is recognized as a slang term birthed by internet discussion forums ....

Agree Bill, and that is the way I read your post.
The fact remains however, that the word 'nazi' (you did use it as lower case), while used as slang, remains a VERY VERY strong term with many associations. For that reason I would avoid the use of the term altogether, unless describing Nazi or neo-Nazi groups etc.

Trying to stay out of the Saw-Stop debate
Henry

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Sensing flesh is a new and unique idea, worth a patent on its own.

Stopping the blade to prevent injury is a new and unique idea on its own.

Those are the very essence of the invention and patent. The method is beside the point.

The whole concept of patent is to secure profit from an invention.

Directly from the US Patent Office website:

"A patent cannot be obtained upon a mere idea or suggestion. The patent is granted upon the new machine, manufacture, etc., as has been said, and not upon the idea or suggestion of the new machine. A complete description of the actual machine or other subject matter for which a patent is sought is required."

https://www.uspto.gov/patents-getting-started/general-information-concerning-patents

I'm NOT a patent lawyer or any other kind of lawyer for that matter. And these days it does seem like those things have gotten kind of murky.

Wyatt Co.

New User
Bill
At this point anything I say will be seen as argumentative rhetoric so I'll tread softly and bow out of the thread.

Mr. Davis, with all due respect, and I do mean due respect strongly, we're going to have to agree to disagree but only to a degree. As a mechanical engineer, I'm responsible for a company holding a few patents. My designs, my creations, but unfortunately I do not hold the patents. So yes sir, I'm well aware of how it works, and how I feel it should work.

Mr. Henry, the same due respect applies to you. Android capitalized the "nazi" and I didn't notice. I understand where you're coming from and please accept my apologies for my oversight.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
Patent protection is a basic constitutional principle. Nazi? The gentleman who invented SawStop IS A PATENT LAWYER, and yes he patented things which are common natural and electrical phenomena. Sensing flesh is not a new thing. In the 40s my dad worked with radio. He had a gadget he referred to as a signal tracer. When the probe was grounded (flesh works just fine) the radio played. When you removed your finger it stopped. That's the same technology. Nothing new or ground shacking.

My main gripe is that gentleman has tried to get rich with this product with 2 angles. 1: Making it close to impossible for anyone to produce a competitive product. 2: Trying everything possible to force his product down the throats of woodworkers. OSHA, CPSA etc. The SawStop IS a fine well made machine. The problem is not everybody wants one.

Pop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS