Bosch 1617VS Dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Well, yesterday I was using it and today it won't start. It's the Bosch 1617 variable speed model. Honestly, it sounded slightly different yesterday (but I told myself it was just my hearing) ... and then today, nothing. Not even an attempt.

So ... do I take it somewhere and try to get it fixed, or just buy another router? Anyone have any experience getting Bosch equipment fixed? Cost effective?

I have a couple other routers, but I don't want them to replace this one (this one has a dedicated job in the multi-router)

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
As I get older, my memory doesn't work as well, but it seems that I have seen other post about problems with the switch on some models of Bosch routers.Do a search over at woodnet, for steve68steve, on 2-13-08. Sorry I can't remember how to do the link. Bruce

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I had a 1611 that I took to get fixed many years ago. I think it cost me around $125, but they had to replace the plunge base and the posts, so it wasn't cheap.

If it were me, I would check the brushes and make sure they are good, and if they are take the switch apart and get the dust out of it.

If you don't want to do it yourself, I would still say yes, a good Bosch is worth getting repaired. Most places will give an estimate of what it will cost to repair it for a nominal fee for diagnosing it.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Hey Jeremy - The same thing happened to mine a few months ago. I took it apart, cleaned everything out and it worked fine till yesterday. I think you just have to clean it out every so often.

pete

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
Jeremy,
If memory serves me right, Little Hardware is the Bosch repair center here in town. With that said it maybe cost prohibitive to go that route. Best bet is to fix it yourself. Most of the time the problem with a router is switch, brushes or bearings all of which you should be able to replace.
Rob

alleng

New User
allen
i had the same problem with mine. i took it apart and removed the switch then used a piece of wire to bypass the switch.it workedso i knew i had a bad switch. i had not had the router for very long,id say mabie 4 hours on it at most.anyhow i took it in to lowes to see if the guuy in tool world could order me a new switch. he looked at the routersaid that since i hadnot had it that longand it stilllooked new he just exchanged it for a new one.some times it dont hurt to ask:gar-Bi

gazzer

Gazzer
Corporate Member
Have had to disassemble and blow out the dust from the switch and the switch connection area a few times on mine. Same symptom - turn it on and nothing happens. The switches seem not to be shielded from dust as well as they should be.

Take pics of the wiring connections before you pull things apart. I hooked mine up wrong the last time and although it worked fine I lost the VS function.

Good luck.

johnpipe108

New User
John Meshkoff
I had the dusty switch problem on my 1617EVS, cleaned out the switch and it worked fine. I wrote to Bosch, and they sent me a replacement switch which is supposed to be more dust-proof, but it looks identical to the original. Time will tell if it is immune to the dust-jamming.

Johnpipe

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Well, it was the dusty switch. I ended up dropping it off at Little Hardware and they fixed it for $20. The guy said this is a great router EXCEPT for this fact ... they all suffer this problem. He recommended keeping an extra switch around the house because it WILL happen again. Oh well ... at least I didn't have to buy another $150 router!

Guess next time I'll fix it ...

THANK YOU FOR ALL OF PRECISE FEEDBACK!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS