Bookcase WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

sediener

New User
Steve
So after completing this workcart as my first project (it was from the shopnotes plan with a few minor mods), I decided that I should start on something that will go in the house.

and this is a rough sketchup plan:

here is where I am so far (the left section is out of the pic). I should get the doors built for the middle section tonight and then get sanding. I am going to wait to do the top part until after I get the kid's furniture done.

- Steve

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Nice progress, and nice work with sketchup!

Beware of sketchup. At times, you will make things overly complex and then will building, think "why am I doing this"?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Looking great Steve!! That's gonna be a really nice addition to your house. What kind of wood are you using and what are your finish plans?

Dave:)

sapwood

New User
Roger
:eusa_thin Fine looking shop cart, sketchup rendering, and now furniture. Impressive progress Steve :icon_thum We wanna see the kids furniture too :mrgreen:

Roger

sediener

New User
Steve
Thanks for the comments.

It is red oak plywood and hardwood face frame and moldings. I am not sure of the finishing plans yet. I was considering darkening it up a bit with mahogany stain to even out the color across the ply and hardwood but might just go natural with a couple coats of poly. I am open to suggestions.

- Steve

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
If you use Minwax Red Mahogany, I would recommend using a coat of shellac before top coating. I have found the red mahogany has a tendency to come off while top coating otherwise.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Personally everything I've ever done with the Red Mahog. stain has been way too dark. You might try something like Early American which will leave the wood still distinguishable as Oak. I have also found that Colonial Maple gives a nice "Golden Oak" color without the greenish effect.
Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS