book gloat...

Status
Not open for further replies.

02blues

New User
john
Found a cool book about wooden hand planes with a listing of the "makers marks".
They gathered sale prices from late 70s to early 90s then listed the makers and how much they sold for. Some seem expensive even now.

What I am really interested in is a listing or reference of hand plane "makers marks" and info about the makers.

Let me know if you know of a good book. I have not really researched this yet...:icon_scra

DSC_0708.JPG

View image in gallery

02blues

New User
john
I think I anwered my own question...?
A Guide to the Makers of American Wooden Planes, 4th Edition Same author I think.
Have you been to Astragal Press? OMG for book and old tool lovers. :icon_thum
Any other thoughts?

02blues

New User
john
Ed

Thanks for the awesome links. Wow. An infinite amount to learn eh?
Just spent a load of time sifting though some articles. Love the old stuff.
Enjoyed this one.. by George Jack 1903.
Thanks again.
Bought three books from Astragal Press today... let you know if they are worth anything.
I have a weakness for old doors too.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Some great reading out there!

Have you found "Tools, Working Wood in Eighteenth-Century America" by Gaynor and Hagedorn? If not, might I strongly endorse said tome of handtool goodness.

Cannot beat "Hide Glue, Historical and Practical Applications" by Stephen Shepherd of Full Chisel blog fame. My copy literally now has hide glue spots on it......

"The Wooden Plane" by Wheldan from Astragal Press is a great history of the form.

"Hand-Saw Makers of Britian" by Erv Schaffer and Don McConnell available from Clark & Williams plane makers extraordinaire. This book is just what is purports to be, an inventory of makers and a section on makers marks for handsaws.

Jim

02blues

New User
john
Jim

This is all so humbling isn't it? There is so much that I don't know. Makes a guy want to go to grad school to get caught up...now there is an idea:widea:. Might need to make one of those Jeffersonian book stands though so I can rad 4 books at once.

I will add yours to the long long list of must reads.

One humbling and inspirational though:
Look at the great work done in the 17-19 century that was done without most of the information we now have at our finger tips.

As they say you can play that one flat or round.

Carpe Liber!:icon_scra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS