Book "case" for Book Series - aka box set sans the box

ralitaco

Jim
Senior User
As you can see from the title, I don't even know what I am trying to design - LOL
My daughter is buying the Illustrated Harry Potter books for her children. I think there will be 7 books in total but that is in question because the man doing the illustrations is retiring.
Anyway, I am planning to make a box for them to be displayed in, but it will be more like a mini bookcase she can put on a dresser - so you will see the spines of the books. The internal dimensions of the box will need to be 10" deep and 12" high (I measured one of the books so I am good on those dimensions). I am not sure how wide to make the box, but am leaning towards 12". I think that would look good to have the box be as wide as it is tall. Part of the uncertainty comes from the fact that all the books are not the same size and only 5 have been published so far. Also, on top of the case will be a Deathly Hallows symbol from Harry Potter. I am leaning towards making that 14" or 16" wide using 3/4" or 1" thick by 4" wide white oak or poplar.

So my questions:
1. Is the box going to wide enough from a visual perspective?
a. If I go with a 14" triangle, that will end up about flush with the box - 12" opening + 1" wood on both sides would be 14".
b. If I go with the 16" wide triangle there would only be about 1" of overhang. Will that be enough?
2. What kind of joint should I use to make the box?
a. I don't want to just use butt joints but keep in mind I am a beginner so I am not sure about dovetails.
b. I could just miter them and glue them, but I am not sure of the strength or if I would get them tight.

Thanks in advance for your kind suggestions. (This was supposed to be a simple project: a box with a triangle on top - How hard can that be?)

Deathly Hallows Bookcase.jpg

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
I think the narrower the better, and make sure you use the inside dimension for the width of the books.

I think a half inch over-hang is sufficient. I'm not sure if you intended a space between the triangle and box but it adds an interesting element.

Great place to practice and perfect your dovetails. Mitered is weakest joint but can be beefed up with splines. You could also rabbet the top and bottom and dado the sides. Miter the top will be OK.

You could split the top front vertically and put some concealed hinges on the hypotenuses for a secret place to store a wand etc.

I would also build the back with a french cleat so you could hang it on the wall now or in the future.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors