Block planes / how to date

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Not that it means a lot in the grand scheme of things, but I am just curious as to how to date a block plane using patent dates, etc. I looked on the Blood & Gore site and googled a bunch of stuff but still couldn't find anything that specifically speaks to this.

??????????????????????????

Mike

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Mike,

I suspect that the only thing a patent number will tell you is about when the patent was filed with the patent office.

There's a lot of information on the web page of the Patent Office, http://www.uspto.gov/ If you use their search facility you can get a description, who the inventor is, who the assignee is, and the date tha tthe applicatin was filed. Maybe that will get you started. The search page is at http://patft1.uspto.gov/netahtml/PTO/search-bool.html

Ray

Monty

New User
Monty
hehehe.... if you REALLY want to know (be careful what you ask for!!!)... get yourself a copy of John Walter's book.

119722_lg.jpg

OK, it's a little pricey, but maybe you can pick one up for $25-$30 at that place where you bought your Emmert! :lol:

Edit: here are a few auctions to keep an eye on: ebay link

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
insomniac said:
hehehe.... if you REALLY want to know (be careful what you ask for!!!)... get yourself a copy of John Walter's book.

119722_lg.jpg

OK, it's a little pricey, but maybe you can pick one up for $25-$30 at that place where you bought your Emmert! :lol:

Edit: here are a few auctions to keep an eye on: ebay link

Some how I really don't think I will find one at the local flea market. But, if I do, I will gloat for the rest of the year. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mike

fsdogwood

New User
Pinwu
Hamilton.com has the Stanley catalog reprint for
sale.
I don't have that book mentioned above, but the
catalog would give some help.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
sorry MIke, can't tell you much about block planes, or how to date. :lol::lol::lol:

frigator

New User
Robin Frierson
I have the Walters book, somewhere around here, if you tell me about your plane I could probaly date it for you. What do you got?

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
frigator said:
I have the Walters book, somewhere around here, if you tell me about your plane I could probaly date it for you. What do you got?

Robin,

I'll go you one better, I will take some detail photos and maybe you can get an idea from them. I will also note any patent dates, etc. Appreciate your help. Just a SWAG, but I believe a couple of them are probably from the 20's or 30's and don't know about the other one. I have a #65 knuckle cap, #18 standard angle knuckle cap, #60 1/2 which has the standard style cap. Why two low angles, well I found the 60 1/2 before I found the 65 and wanted the knuckle type so thats how I acquired two. I will try and get the pics and info tomorrow and will either post the info here or PM it to you.

Thanks,

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS