Blind Furniture Maker

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Tonight, the Tarheel Traveler featured a Fayetteville NC furniture maker who is TOTALLY blind. He does everything by feel, and yes he uses power tools. As a chopper pilot in Nam, he took a round in the face, and has been blind since. And I thought I had some problems hindering my wood working.

llucas

luke
Senior User
With normal aging and slowly declining physical ability, I have taken to pausing each morning and reminding myself that it is NOT what one can't do anymore, it is what one still CAN do. This story drives that point home.

woodworkingshop.com

Coleman
User
WOW, this was amazing.

I am aware that the VA sometimes supplies a Sawstop for veterans with limited vision. However this guy is something else. Thanks for sharing this story.

Coleman

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I knew a blind piano repairman. Went to his basement home shop one time and first this he asked if the light was on. He wanted me to see the piano he had just finished. He had made and replaced some broken parts then stained and refinished the whole thing. I could not tell which parts were new and the finish was glass smooth. His wife played a song and it sounded wonderful.

Since then I found out there is a school for the blind that teaches piano tuning and repair.

SabertoothBunny

SabertoothBunny
Corporate Member
Have you guys seem the blind woodturner in England? The stuff this man produces is absolutely insanely nice. It is amaing to me what the blind can do in the world of wood amongst other things. Truly amazing.

MGT

Mike
Senior User
Thanks for posting this story-quite inspiring. I met a friends grandfather in New Mexico several years ago that was still able to make some nice tables even though his sight had deteriorated substantially over the years, but he still had some vision. The guy in this video is truly amazing.

Michael

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS