Blades for Delta Scrollsaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJD

New User
John
I recently acquired a Delta scrollsaw and am having difficulty finding blades. Most of the ones I've come across in stores are a good 1/2 inch too LONG. Any advice?

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Standard scroll saw blades are 5". Does your saw require blades with pins or will it take flat blades?

JJD

New User
John
Scott, it requires blades with pins. It seems like all the blades I find at the Box Stores and ACE are about 5 1/2" long or so....

ehpoole

Ethan
A good question for a new owner is does it *require* pin-end blades or does it merely *accept* pin-end blades? Some scrollsaws are exclusively one or the other, while others will work with either. If it will accept either then you may simply need to increase the tension adjustment to take out the slack (although 1/2" would be an awful lot of adjustment).

In some cases, you can purchase adapter kits that will adapt a pin-only scrollsaw to pinless. You will find a much broader array of blades available for pinless models -- and the pinless require much smaller access holes.

I don't use my scrollsaw all that much, but I really love the sanding bands available for scrollsaws for smoothing small interior spaces and cutouts.

cskipper

Cathy
I don't use my scrollsaw all that much, but I really love the sanding bands available for scrollsaws for smoothing small interior spaces and cutouts.

I love the sanders too, though am not using them much anymore. The plastic ends are pretty thick for any of the Hegner blade clamps. Fortunately I am not needing as much interior sanding as my scrolling improves. FYI, you can put some wood under the actual work piece to take advantage of the upper part of the sander that doesn't get used. Sorry for the hijack.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Scott, it requires blades with pins. It seems like all the blades I find at the Box Stores and ACE are about 5 1/2" long or so....

Are you sure you are looking at scroll saw blades and not coping saw blades?

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Are you sure you are looking at scroll saw blades and not coping saw blades?

Some older saws used pin type blades. Yes very similar to a coping saw in blade design and how the pins rested in grooves on the blade holder. The down side with pin type blades is you need to drill a fairly large entry hole which is not possible in many fret work designs. All the newer saws have gone to pinless blades.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Some older saws used pin type blades. Yes very similar to a coping saw in blade design and how the pins rested in grooves on the blade holder. The down side with pin type blades is you need to drill a fairly large entry hole which is not possible in many fret work designs. All the newer saws have gone to pinless blades.

Yes but coping saw blades are a little longer. that is why I asked.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS