Black Walnut Slabs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rod

New User
Rod
I am trying to find the impossible it seems.

I am looking for large bw slabs to build a table out of (like a dining room table). The final dimensions are to be 40"-48" wide X 8.5' long X 3" thick. I want the top to be made out of no more than 2 slabs...same with the uprights (slab legs).

I have found a few folks out west that want to sell to me, but I would rather find it in NC if possible. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Rod

MarkW

New User
Mark
The last time I was at Kyle's he definately had what you are hunting for and if I remember correctly, his came from California too! It was certainly some beautiful wood.

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
Hey Rod,

I don't have anything that is 8.5' long and 3" thick that is 48" wide from 1 or 2 slabs.

the kicker here is 3" thick and DRY. You will pay a significant premium for material that is dry and 22-24" wide.

I do have some walnut logs that are 24" wide and 12 feet long. I may also have some shorter slabs in the 2" range 46" wide an around 6 feet that are pretty close to dry.

Let me know if you would like any of this.

kyle

DIYGUY

New User
Mark
I wonder how much a plank that size that would weigh? That is around 100 BF of wood. I sure would not want to have to move that around by myself to tool it ...

Went to woodweb to find out - with a 10% moisture content and 12/4 x 102" by 48" it works out to 319 lbs! That's 150# more than I weigh and about 270# more than I would ever want to work with on any given day.

Last edited:

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
JUST an FYI..My slabs run 8-12/bf depending upon figure..

2-22" x 2" x 12' slabs will cost 9-10/bf and totals 88 bf. Drying would be about a $1/bf extra. These slabs would run about 880+tax including the kiln drying.

If you compare to Hearne.. Its a pretty sweet deal.

Scott and I are working on a deal to where the Eastern part of the state could get some of this fantastic stuff if interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors