Black Walnut Burl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry

New User
Terrence P. Rielly
I guess Christmas came early for me today. A new friend I met while having coffee asked me if I knew any woodworker who would like Black Walnut Burl and Cherry. I jumped on that like a jack rabbitt. I met with him at his house this afternoon and looked at this prise. He stated he had collected these pieces from over the US and most is 30 years old. I figured that it would cost a arm and a leg. These are about 4' long and 12 to14" wide and 2-3" thick.
He stated I could have them all if I wanted them. So Saturday he and my son will load them and stack them in my storage building. I still can't beleive this but Saturday will tell and I will GLOAT with pictures of course. Sorry, I am just as happy as pig eating a corn cob! :-D8-O

See Gallery for other pictures!

Also while I was there he showed me a CARVIT Model 8067 made by the DUMORE Corpopration in Racine WI. If anyone can find anything about this machine please let me know. It does not have a manual and probably will never find one as this is antique. Terry:-D

Last edited:

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I guess Christmas came early for me today. A new friend I met while having coffee asked me if I knew any woodworker who would like Black Walnut Burl and Cherry. I jumped on that like a jack rabbitt. I met with him at his house this afternoon and looked at this prise. He stated he had collected these pieces from over the US and most is 30 years old. I figured that it would cost a arm and a leg. These are about 4' long and 12 to14" wide and 2-3" thick.
He stated I could have them all if I wanted them. So Saturday he and my son will load them and stack them in my storage building. I still can't beleive this but Saturday will tell and I will GLOAT with pictures of course. Sorry, I am just as happy as pig eating a corn cob! :-D8-O

Also while I was there he showed me a CARVIT Model 8067 made by the DUMORE Corpopration in Racine WI. If anyone can find anything about this machine please let me know. It does not have a manual and probably will never find one as this is antique. Terry:-D

suchage witheld pending pics but if you find more info on the dumore please pass it on. i have one of these that my grandfather gave me. looks like the fordom if yours is the same. congrats!:icon_thum

Terry

New User
Terrence P. Rielly
suchage witheld pending pics but if you find more info on the dumore please pass it on. i have one of these that my grandfather gave me. looks like the fordom if yours is the same. congrats!:icon_thum
I will get pictures of the Dumore CARVIT!

M

McRabbet

Here's a picture of one that was posted on another forum (Woodcarvingillustrated.com's Message Board). It is a pantograph-type tool that carves wherever the stylus is pointed.

4300d1145964135-dumore-carvit-p1010166.jpg

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wow, I found something that even Google doesn't know much about 8-O8-O

CarvIt.jpg

"The Dumore Carvit is based on a pantagraph design like most duplicating routers.

The size of your cutter will determine the speed the wood is removed and the quality of the finished carving.

There are some adjustments necessary to obtain good results; if I recall correctly, this is done with the stylus length.

If the machine has not been modified, there is a counterweight on the stylus arm that helps maintain control; if the motor has been changed, you may need to adjust this weight to compensate.

I would check the collets to be sure they have not been broken, and do not extend the bit too much in an effort to produce more depth of cut.

This router has it's limitations and it is best to work within them.
While it was advertised as being capable of carving figures, I suggest you stick with relief carving on flat stock.

Before you turn it on, check the limits of travel and mark them on the table surface. Your clamps should be made of wood to avoid damaging the cutter
."

www.woodcarvingillustrated.com/forum/attachments/f38/4300d1145964135-dumore-carvit-p1010166.jpg

That's all that's out there :eusa_thin

Dave:)

Terry

New User
Terrence P. Rielly
You got it! You Guys are the top of the line! Now if I can find a manual. Thanks for getting me this far. Terry

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
that dont look like mine!:crybaby2: I imagine dumore made more than one tool though. mine is just like the fordom. motoer hangs on a hook and about 4 feet of cable with a small chuck on the end used for carving or deburring depending on the chosen bit used. I rarely use it but it is nice to have around.:-D One like you have would get more use. nice score!:icon_thum

Terry

New User
Terrence P. Rielly
that dont look like mine!:crybaby2: I imagine dumore made more than one tool though. mine is just like the fordom. motoer hangs on a hook and about 4 feet of cable with a small chuck on the end used for carving or deburring depending on the chosen bit used. I rarely use it but it is nice to have around.:-D One like you have would get more use. nice score!:icon_thum

Fred, I called the Dumore Corporation (1-888-467-8288) and talked with John. He looked in hios archives in his office and then took my Phone Number as he had to go to the other end of the building. When he called me back he only had the Flyer that is shown above. They have no more information on this uniot as it was made in 1949 and when they moved from Racine to the current city some of the material was either destoyed or lost in the shuffle. But they made this unit and have made motors for the hanging kind. Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS