Big Mike, The Teacher

Status
Not open for further replies.

gator

George
Corporate Member
Just found out that Big Mike has been invited to teach a turning class at American Sycamore Wood School for a week in Sept. I'll Let Mike give you all the details.

Congratulations Mike.

George

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Cool, congratulations Mike.:icon_thum Don't forget to have someone take photos of your class.

D L

DaveO

New User
DaveO
That should be a great class Big Mike is very talented. Where is that school located, and is it the one associated with Sam Maloof?
Dave:)

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Thank you for noticing. I am somewhat humbled by the whole prospect but I am very excited and will be spending the next few months refining my class presentation.

American Sycamore Woodworking Retreat is located about 40 miles west of Indianapolis. It is a relatively new woodworking school founded by Dana and Mike Van Pelt. They have about one class a week but also have some weekend sessions. Some of the instructors include Glen Huey, Tom Laird, Doug Stowe and Marc Spagnuolo. Mike Van Pelt is an accomplished woodworker and craftsman himself. The school offers accommodations in addition to the classes but at this time only includes lunch with the enrollment package. Visit their site for more detail:
http://www.americansycamoreretreat.com/

My class will be an introductory woodturning class designed for turners with some previous experience emphasizing turning of small boxes. The first 3 days will be flat grain boxes, i.e. covered bowls with various techniques including inlaid lids and finial handles. The last couple of days will be dedicated to turning simple end grain boxes with infitting and overfitting lids. I hope students will take away my love of turned boxes and have some of the necessary skills to continue this fun and entertaining aspect of the woodturning hobby. Ya'll come, I promise a fun week. As George said my class will be in September the week of the 18th-22nd.

Last edited:

gator

George
Corporate Member
Hey Mike -

If you carry a contingent from NC can you get us a group discount?

George

T

toolferone

A couple of years ago I took a weekend dovetail class there. I stayed with a friend and we took the class together. Frank Klausz was the teacher. It was a great weekend. The shop is great and Mike and Dana are really really nice people. This school is very down to earth with no attitude that I have heard some of the other schools have. It is in the middle of no where.

Mike, it sounds like fun, enjoy yourself.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
gator said:
Hey Mike -

If you carry a contingent from NC can you get us a group discount?

George

Better yet, how about a class somewhere here in NC?

Congratulations Mike, it speaks highly of your accomplishments to be grouped with talent at this level.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Grats Mike! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap That's quite an accomplishment! I'd also have to 2nd the class in NC .

gator

George
Corporate Member
clowman said:
Grats Mike! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap That's quite an accomplishment! I'd also have to 2nd the class in NC .

Maybe Tom can get him into Woodcraft for a Saturday class.

George

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Thank you for all the flattering comments. I feel very honored and really want to do a good job. I do not consider myself much more than a wood bludgeoner but I am trying to get better. Some of the turners on this site would humble my efforts. It would be nice to take a contingent to the class. The class is limited to 8 people. Tom has been to my house and seen some of my work and my hovel of a shop so maybe he knows better than to offer me class time...:oops: It would be fun to get together with a bunch of turners and swap techniques and stories....:)

clowman

Clay Lowman
There's a technique to turning? Eesh, I just been running side to side... seriously, I'd love to get into some more turning class. Woodguy got me started on basics. I know I need more basic training... I'll look at local Klingspor as well.

gator

George
Corporate Member
Clay -

I'm signed up for the Feb 4 class at Woodcraft with Alan Leland. Supposed to be "BASICS" which I need as I just bought my first lathe (used) just before Christmas.

George

Big Mike

New User
Mike
I have seen Alan Leland work and he is one fine turner. You will do well to learn from him. He will shorten the learning curve considerably. Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS