Best way to stain plywood black?

Bming1

New User
Brandon
As the title indicates, I’d like to stain some plywood black, and would like any wood grain patterns to be visible, while having it look completely black. I did a search 👀, but couldn’t find an answer. These plywood pieces would be used to build an entertainment center and some shelving units. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
India ink has worked for me on solid wood. Assuming veneer is solid it should work for you. Wear gloves.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I buy black printers ink from amazon. It is thick, I think it's meant to print on t-shirts. I wipe it on like a gel stain. Works great. I've used it on softwood, hardwood(poplar), and softwood plywood.

Bming1

New User
Brandon
I buy black printers ink from amazon. It is thick, I think it's meant to print on t-shirts. I wipe it on like a gel stain. Works great. I've used it on softwood, hardwood(poplar), and softwood plywood.
This is the first time I’ve heard of this method! Do you apply a finish on top of it?

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Black dye will work, can be mixed with alcohol, sprayed one to two coats. It dries fast and can be top coated in less than an hour.
you’ve had several good suggestions here. Good luck and please share your project with us.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS