Best (safe) way to heat and cool a woodworking workshop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mad Scientist

New User
MS
My stepson is planning on building a detached woodworking shop. The building is planned to be 20x40 with a compressor and finishing rooms. Most of the layout is planned. The only question is how to properly heat and cool the building, so there is no danger of fire or explosion from sawdust. There is going to be a dust collection system, however catching every little dust particle and solvent fumes is impossible.

Any thoughts or ideas?

randwool

New User
Randy
Just for simplicity, I hung a 220V Dayton heater in the corner to take the chill off in winter, when necessary, and installed a nice sized AC unit in a side window. Neither are used that much but nice to have. I also have an exhaust fan that is great about removing the hot air near the ceiling and providing some circulation at anytime.

The curious thing is when working, you don't want to be too hot in the cooler times nor too cool in the warmer times...

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I have a basement garage shop. I have no DC system. My heating plant is also located in the basement. It's nice and cool in the summer, but not very warm in the winter. I use a gas space heater if need. I also see a lot of shops with wood stoves. You may be over reacting to sawdust dangers. As for finishing, I do all of my HVLP work outside. My brush work is inside, but the heater is OFF. (I use shellac & wipe on poly) I've been using this shop arrangement for going on 40 years and haven't blown myself up yet. HOWEVER if you hear a very loud "BOOM ! ! " in the direction of Charlotte look for old Pop at a good altitude gracefully turning end for end.

Bill "Pop" Golden

JohnW

New User
John
Lots of options to choose from but since you asked for best (safe) I'd recommend a mini split system. Then consider adding a dehumidifier. This keeps the heating element or heat pump (your choice) and cooling compressor outside, takes up very little room inside, is very quiet and works very well.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
For heating, I would highly recommend radiant, in-floor heat. No sparks or flame.

+1. In terms of heating, radiant is truly the best, most comfortable method. I have it in the floor of a 5,200 square foot shop, and absolutely love it. If I build another home, you can bet that it will have radiant heating.

RE cooling, you have a couple of different options. Personally I would suggest a mini-split that is on the small side, and leave it running when not in the shop. This will not only cool, it will also keep the shop humidity level low which is good for the wood. It's better than a dehumidifier in that you don't have to spend more $ to cool the air that the dehumidifier is heating.

Coupled with heating and cooling is a good insulation plan. For radiant I would suggest insulation underneath the slab, and spray foam in the walls and ceiling is the most energy efficient.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
A heat pump is a great and safe way to both heat and cool your shop, but you will need to take steps to keep the coils clean of sawdust. The best pleated filters do well, but need to be blown out or replaced frequently. I use an air gun to clean mine (outside the shop) and replace it about every 6 months. If the sawdust gets into the coils it is very hard to get out and it kills the efficiency of the unit. The mini-split systems do not have the capability of adding good pleated filters, so I suggest getting a regular split system
with the ability to install filters in the incoming air.

My shop is an insulated 14' X 26' outbuilding and I have been heating and cooling it with a window style heat pump. I was fortunate to find that a 12" X 20" standard pleated furnace filter will fit behind the front panel against the face of the coil. The unit has been doing a great job for 12 years now, but it's only run when I'm in the shop or when the outside temps will be below freezing (to keep the plumbing, batteries, and glue from freezing). i have been very satisfied with how well it works.

Charley

mike_wood

Update your profile with your name
User
I have a mini-split (110v/5A) that heats/cools my 500 sq ft shop plus attic above. I used spray foam insulation in shop walls and under roof so entire building is temperature controlled. Great for storing wood in the attic. Shop stays comfortable year around. You get a tax credit for the spray foam which reduces cost.

thsb

New User
Tim
I spray foamed (had someone spray foam) my roof deck when we built our current house. the attic stays same temperature as the house and our energy bill is the same as our last house which was 3 times smaller (the current house also has spider spray in 2*6 walls).

I made a lot of questionable decisions on the house but the spray foam was a good one. it seems like a great idea for a workshop so that the attic space is very usable.

09woodie22

New User
Gabe
Ditto radiant. Built a new shop about that size two years ago... have four radiant panels, and installed through the wall AC unit to supply air conditioning. Electrical heating is never the most inexpensive, but it has been incredibly comfortable and I don't worry about an inadvertent "blast" from dust!! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors