Best router bit

Butch1954

New User
Butch
What router bit is best for this vertical groove. 3/8 inch flat cut with 45 degree angle out.
20231021_155417.jpg

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I was thinking two 45° table saw cuts and nibble away the middle with a FTG blade to the desired width. Full disclosure: I have never tried a cut like this.

demondeacon

Dave
Senior User
I would run it across a 3/8 dado setup first, then tilt it 45 degrees and run across again, then flip the board around.

I only have 2 camfer router bits and they both have a bearing on top and also have too wide diameters to make such a narrow cut. Plus they are spinning around in a circle so not sure you could get flat 45 deg cuts on each side of the 3/8 part.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I don’t know of a single but that will do that. A straight bit for the groove and a V groove bit for the chamfg’ers.

IMG_0216.png

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
I like the router for many things, this is not one of them. I’m with the table saw suggestions. It will be tricky to get the 45 just right either way, but you can sneak up on it after you cut the square groove. If I were to try a router I would go with a clamp on fence (or track if you have it)…and add a piece of scrap to prevent tear-out as you come off the edge.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS