Best deck finish

Status
Not open for further replies.

gfernandez

New User
Gonzalo
This past summer I totally redid my 5 year old deck. Had new decking put down, new stringers and handrails. Also added a trellis and some privacy screening.

I'm now at the point that I need to stain or paint, and would like some comments as to the pros and cons of each.

My main concern is that the during the summer, the deck receives full sun from 11am until dusk, and it really beats on the finish. So, which finish is going to give me the best protection from the elements, and how long can I expect to get out of it?

Also, if anyone has recommendations on a good painter who does excellent work, I would appreciate it.

Gonzalo

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Your best and longest lasting finish is going to be a solid color stain. Consumer Reports has been testing deck finishes for many years and puts out their findings in mid-summer. I can't find my June issue, but I recall that they rated Behr Deck Plus Solid Color Deck Stain the best for two years in a row. If you want to go semi-transparent the Sikkens Cetol SRD was given top marks and last for 3 years in their tests.

HTH,
Dave:)

gfernandez

New User
Gonzalo
Thanks Dave,
I wonder if that would be a better product than using primer and paint, especially for the railings and lattice work?

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
Out of curiosity, why did you need new decking after only 5-years; was the original wood not treated?

I am not sure if this can be generalized but my folk's deck is 17-years old, in full sun and in perfect shape. All that has ever been done is a light pressure washing each year to keep grit, grime and dirt that could hold moisture from grinding in and a strong pressure washing every 3-years followed by an application of what ever the cheapest, clear deck sealer happens to be on-sale at the time.

Seriously, the deck looks new and has never needed a single board replaced.

gfernandez

New User
Gonzalo
Out of curiosity, why did you need new decking after only 5-years; was the original wood not treated?

I am not sure if this can be generalized but my folk's deck is 17-years old, in full sun and in perfect shape. All that has ever been done is a light pressure washing each year to keep grit, grime and dirt that could hold moisture from grinding in and a strong pressure washing every 3-years followed by an application of what ever the cheapest, clear deck sealer happens to be on-sale at the time.

Seriously, the deck looks new and has never needed a single board replaced.

Deck was treated with semi-solid stain, but after 5 years, was warped, cracked and split. Do your parents live in the South? Maybe that has something to do with it. I really don't know. This is the first deck, and I have built my last 3, that behaved this way.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
They live in Cary, and I in Apex. My deck is 15-years old with no care from previous owners AT ALL and it is in fine shape as well.

I wonder if you got a bad batch of treated lumber??? If you bought it at a BORG you might have a warranty claim??

dave "dhi"

New User
Dave
treated lumber 10plus years ago was SOOOO much better! You'll get ZERO refund from treated lumber.:rotflm: As for sealer/stains, I'd use TWP, great stuff. Just look what's it's made for!!:icon_thum

gritz

New User
Robert
+1 on TWP...but there are different types.

Contact Mike Glen at http://www.mfgsealants.com/ and follow his recommendation for the best TWP product for your wood and exposure.

In my book, TWP is the best deck sealer on the market. I used the cedar tone on my Cedar rails and Cypress deck, and love the color and the water repelancy. In application it's best to use a pad and do one board at a time to avoid overlaps.

bigcat4t9r

New User
Randy
....If you want to go semi-transparent the Sikkens Cetol SRD was given top marks and last for 3 years in their tests.

I've used the Sikkens cedar color on my pressure treated deck and was pleased with the results. Not overwhelmed, but partly because my deck only gets morning sun and stays fairly damp after rains and had a LOT of mold. I cleaned, pressure washed and belt sanded and applied the Sikkens. Its held up pretty well considering the conditions. Deck is ~8 years old and I, too, want to rip it up and replace the exposed portion (part in screen port still looks new).

Personally, I don't recommend any of the water-based stains because whenever you want to re-coat or change colors, you have to remove the old. You can clean and recoat with oil-based.

My $0.02.

richlife

New User
Rich
The deck I built 15 years ago is huge (1200 sq ft), is in direct southern sun except when it's overhung by shade from the surrounding oaks and hickories (and then there is still a 20 foot band of direct summer sun that travels across). So my problem is wear (2 large dogs), heat, sun, dirt and algae. Over the years, I've pressure washed a couple of times followed by a translucent colored stain. Next time (it's overdue), I'll use TWP.

I've used (and do not recommend) Behr and Cabots stains -- both in a light cedar. To begin, if you have the kind of traffic I do, it wears badly and unevenly. Even on rails, the sun dries it out causing flaking. Neither has helped to stop staining (as in dirt, etc.) or growth of algae.

My intent now is to avoid colors and use something that's easy to apply and re-apply.

And, btw, while there is some cupping and cracking, the surface structure of the deck is still in good shape. But there is a serious difference in the appearance of this large southern deck and the covered decking on any of the other three sides.

Rich

Rob

New User
Rob
One of the contractors we had estimate our deck replacement recommended TWP, said it was only available at one place in Raleigh, but I don't remember where. Probably what I'm going to use once our deck is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS