Best Clamps for Edge Gluing

Status
Not open for further replies.

harpone

New User
Harpone
I am going to edge glue some 2"-4"x24"x3/4" oak I have run through my little planer and jointed. I want to end up with stock 16" wide? What would be good clamps for the job? I like the looks (and reviews) of the Dubuque bar clamps but the shortest (24") seems like overkill.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
David:
Pretty much any clamp long enough will accomplish the task - I-beam, parallel clamps, F-clamps, good old fashioned pipe clamps, ratchet clamps, or even C-clamps if long enough. I personally would avoid the one handed quick clamps for this task, but other people use them.
If you know a local woodworker I bet she or he would be happy to help you accomplish this task.

Henry

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
If I understand correctly, you want to edge-glue several 2" to 4" wide x 3/4" thick strips to make a panel around 16" wide. For something like that I would use pipe clamps ('cause that's what I have :)). Steve (zapdafish) hit on the key though, it works best if you use cauls across the panel to keep the glue joints flushed, which reduces the amount of planing/sanding to be done later. Any scrap will do for cauls, just be sure to wax or masking tape the caul surface that will be in contact with the panel so that the cauls are not stuck to the panel.

harpone

New User
Harpone
Thanks to you and Steve for the advice on cauls. Until i started reading about edge gluing I had no idea what cauls were and how they are used. They will definitely be part of my glue-up.

If I understand correctly, you want to edge-glue several 2" to 4" wide x 3/4" thick strips to make a panel around 16" wide. For something like that I would use pipe clamps ('cause that's what I have :)). Steve (zapdafish) hit on the key though, it works best if you use cauls across the panel to keep the glue joints flushed, which reduces the amount of planing/sanding to be done later. Any scrap will do for cauls, just be sure to wax or masking tape the caul surface that will be in contact with the panel so that the cauls are not stuck to the panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS