Best adhesive to tick tile to formica?

Status
Not open for further replies.

allisnut

Adam
Corporate Member
I have been asked to assist a young widow in fixing up her house to put it on the market. She has formica counter tops that have been covered in tile. Not surprisingly, the mortar didn't stick real well, and several pieces along the front vertical edge have fallen off. What would be the best way to reattach these pieces to the formica?

gator

George
Corporate Member
Don't know if would be a long-term fix (depending on how much she wants to maybe stick the buyer with) but I would use a good construction adhesive. It should hold, at least, short-term.

George

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
A basic construction adhesive will do it for a while, CA glue is to brittle for this application. Nothing on this will be real long term, however I have seen stranger things work out. Good luck

redknife

New User
Chris
I might try E6000, generally available at big box or amazon. It retains some flexibility and bonds to just about anything.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
If you could, try to remove the laminate from the face of the counter and glue to the wood beneath. Clean off all the contact adhesive you can and then try polyurethane glue. The laminate just lacks any adhesion texture and it's doubtful rough sanding would even help.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
I think Dennis is correct on the "not bonding" but would just sand the formica with maybe 50 Grit to roughen then apply adheshive...

allisnut

Adam
Corporate Member
I can't remove the formica, as the missing tiles are scattered along the edge of the counter. I agreed with rough sanding to give it bite. My concern with construction adhesive is that one side has to be able to absorb mositure for the adhesive to set. Will tile absorb enough moisture for the glue to cure? I was thinking 5 minute epoxy? Construction adhesive would be easier, if it will set.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I can't remove the formica, as the missing tiles are scattered along the edge of the counter. I agreed with rough sanding to give it bite. My concern with construction adhesive is that one side has to be able to absorb mositure for the adhesive to set. Will tile absorb enough moisture for the glue to cure? I was thinking 5 minute epoxy? Construction adhesive would be easier, if it will set.

Why is moisture absorption needed? "Construction" adhesive is a pretty generic term and you need to find one that is end-use specific for your project.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I'm amazed at how much times have changed and I haven't. Was going to recommend Liquid Nails 200 to hold those tiles, but I looked it up first to make sure I was right; there's no such animal anymore! Well, then I'll just have to go with Liquid Nails Heavy Duty Construction Adhesive because it's water resistant as well as highly durable. It's been quite a few years since I used products like that, so you have to give me a break; now I have to hitch up the mule to my wagon and head to the hardware store.

allisnut

Adam
Corporate Member
Why is moisture absorption needed? "Construction" adhesive is a pretty generic term and you need to find one that is end-use specific for your project.

I learned, the hard way, that liquid nail and loctite construction adhesive will not cure when trying to glue two layers of styrofoam together. They work by the liquid in the glue being able to migrate away from the joint, hence my question about the tile being porous enough to allow this to happen.

tandemsforus

New User
John
Did you look up the 3M 5200? It is moisture cure, will not get brittle, is shock resistant and will glue anything to just about anything. Used in the marine industry for above and below waterline. Can be bought I believe at "West Marine' or off Amazon. $13 a tube.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS