Bessey K body clamp "guides"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
Called these things clamp "guides" because as usual I can not find the paper work that came with the set.

Couple of years ago I bought two K body clamp sets on sell from Amazon. They came with these black blocks with slots in them. I remember reading a little of the information. Seems as if they are used to make it easier to keep things square and hold the clamps at the same time.

I am making some frame and panel doors and decided to bring the "guides" out of the black hole. Using them seems simple enough. My question is why are there 2 slots running in each direction? Must be a reason me thinks. Not enough room to place two clamps side by side. Though I do not know why you would if you could.

Anyone able to shed any light on this?

I guess this qualifies as the dumb quesiton of the day:banana:.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
So you can cross 2 clamps at 90 degrees - one over top of the other I believe.

I understand there are two clamps running in one direction and two clamps running in the other direction one set over the other. This leaves 4 empty slots. I am just wondering why the " guides" are made with what looks like extra slots.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
After looking at them again I guess it could be as simple as having some flexability in spacing the clamps.

If someone does have the instructions for these things I would appreciate a PM. I would like a copy.

sapwood

New User
Roger
I understand there are two clamps running in one direction and two clamps running in the other direction one set over the other. This leaves 4 empty slots. I am just wondering why the " guides" are made with what looks like extra slots.

Keye,
Hope you, uh we, find the answer. I pulled mine out last week and wasn't entirely certain what was going on :dontknow:

Only "instructions" are the pix on the box. And the vertical slots are deeper than the horizontal slots . . . or vice versa. When putting the bar in the "shallow" slots the bar was a tiny bit higher than the blocks. Nice clamps though :mrgreen:

Roger

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I have a set of those blocks that came with a set of clamps my wife got me as a gift. I just went into the shop looking for them and couldn't find them. I guess that shows how much I have used them...actually never.
I don't see the benefit unless you are clamping mitered frames, and for that there are better ways to go about that.
For a standard frame and panel door you only need clamping pressure in one axis, against the stiles. Placing a clamp on the rails will only cause it to move (with a typical cope/stick joint) or be useless with a M&T joint.
I think them as an attempt at "value-added" that has no value. But they got my wife to buy me 4 Bessy clamps because she thought that I really needed this set-up...so I guess there is value to them :icon_thum

MTCW,
Dave:)

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
Now that was helpful :icon_thum
Also noticed they have discontinued the blocks :wconfused:
Guess that's why I got such a good price :mrgreen:

And Dave, you got it :icon_thum
Clamping mitered frames appears to be the "Raison d'etre".

Roger

Guess I now know why I threw them into the black hole:rotflm:.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS