Benchtop planer wanted in Burlington

mikewhoins

New User
Mike
Hey y'all, I'm slowly shopping for a used benchtop planer. Special consideration to Makita because I'm a dork.
I'm on a budget, but also just like buying used stuff and diverting the waste stream. I'm in Alamance county. LMK if you have something, I really appreciate it.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
There is this one down near Wilmington for $400. It's three hours away if you don't mind driving.

1644436308587.png

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
I saw a Rigid 13" one a few days ago down in Matthews that might be closer and was listed at $200. It was an medium old school 13" Rigid thickness planer from the looks of it since the colors were majority silver and just a bit of orange. To me that says it's likely one from the days when Rigid gave the "lifetime" warranty before Ryobi bought them up. I think it was on craigslist in the Charlotte listings. At $200 it might be a really good deal. I do know they make the helical replacements for the design which I would highly suggest to install to replace the old planer blades which are (in almost any used planer you will find not being sold by a reputable woodworker) direly in need of replacement.

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
I saw a Rigid 13" one a few days ago down in Matthews that might be closer and was listed at $200. It was an medium old school 13" Rigid thickness planer from the looks of it since the colors were majority silver and just a bit of orange. To me that says it's likely one from the days when Rigid gave the "lifetime" warranty before Ryobi bought them up. I think it was on craigslist in the Charlotte listings. At $200 it might be a really good deal. I do know they make the helical replacements for the design which I would highly suggest to install to replace the old planer blades which are (in almost any used planer you will find not being sold by a reputable woodworker) direly in need of replacement.
Yeah looks like that one is gone. Can't find it on the craigslist pages anymore at least.

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
Not mine:
The link doesn't require login. It will take you to the item. I'd still replace the knives with helical or at least plan on that for the near future. Just so much cheaper in the long run.

jlimey

Jeff
Corporate Member
Hey y'all, I'm slowly shopping for a used benchtop planer. Special consideration to Makita because I'm a dork.
I'm on a budget, but also just like buying used stuff and diverting the waste stream. I'm in Alamance county. LMK if you have something, I really appreciate it.
Hi Mike,

I have a Delta 22-580 that I could let you have for $175. It has two known problems. I broke off the blade zero indicator. And the last time I tried to use it, the wood didn't feed the best. Seems like this isn't an unusual problem with this planer and a coat of wax on the bed often fixes it. I just switched to my Dewalt so not sure if it as easy as all that as I didn't try to fix it. If you can't get the feed to work, you can return it to me for a refund (warranty time to be discussed).

I am the original owner and don't believe that I ever rotated the knives. If so, I know that I never bought a new set, so it has seen a bit of wood, but hundreds, not thousands of bf.

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
I had a rigid and swapped it out for a DeWalt three blade two speed unit expecting it would make me a better woodworker. Nah, the difference in results was negligible - albeit no side by side comparisons as I sold teh Home Depot to get the cash for the Dewalt.

As they told me my (Carpenter) grandfather would say "'tis a poor workman what blames his tools."

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
Not mine:
The link doesn't require login. It will take you to the item.
Well, to a picture of the item! However to contact the seller requires you submit to facebook! Craigslist is a much better deal. I need to find a FB user willing to look it up for me and tr and get one of those old school phone numbers to call!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS