bench ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

daver828

New User
David
So many posts about benches. I'm trying to figure out a way to make some sort of a bench, portable, movable. I live in a one bedroom apartment and it's full. I have very little options for a place to work. But maybe if I could come up with a way to work with a portable bench, then I could get some work done. I thought about Odate's idea of a planing beam which would serve as several things. I have several 12 x 12 beams I could use. But how to set them up for planing? Sawhorses move too much. I've tried the little black and decker fold up bench with the rollers to clamp with. That is absolutely useless for planing or chisel work. Any ideas?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I've been thinking about a small bench as well. I'm thinking to build something like the saw bench only much stronger and maybe with an end vise.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I read an article in the past few months that might be helpful. It might have been in American Woodworker, but I looked through my last few issues and didn't find it. Could have been an older issue though - I bought a few lots of back issues off eBay over the winter.

Anyway, he was an accomplished woodworker but had no traditional workbench. He had two bases (possible heavy sawhorses?) and 2 "tops". Each top was a 12"x8' torsion box. The article showed the variety of ways that he would clamp the tops to the sawhorses to accomplish each task. I know he specifically mentioned various hand-plane usage and thought his bench choice was more flexible than the traditional bench and just as sturdy. Cheaper to build and no face/tail vices - just a variety of clamping strategies.

I wish I could find the article. Grrrr...

Adirondax

New User
Adirondax
Anyway, he was an accomplished woodworker but had no traditional workbench. He had two bases (possible heavy sawhorses?) and 2 "tops". Each top was a 12"x8' torsion box. The article showed the variety of ways that he would clamp the tops to the sawhorses to accomplish each task. I know he specifically mentioned various hand-plane usage and thought his bench choice was more flexible than the traditional bench and just as sturdy. Cheaper to build and no face/tail vices - just a variety of clamping strategies.

That was in FWW No. 202, the last Tools & Shops issue. His system was pretty clever.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
That was in FWW No. 202, the last Tools & Shops issue. His system was pretty clever.

Yup - that's it. Just re-read parts of it. It looks to be a great system for the space-constrained or budget-conscious. If I didn't already have a bench, I'd build that.

Adirondax

New User
Adirondax
Here's a pic of the bench with one of the two torsion boxes Josh Finn made for the bench. I'd really consider this as well if I hadn't already built the John White NewFangled Bench for my shop.

Picture_1.png

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
After re-reading the article I noted that each top is 9" wide. The picture that Adirondax posted is actually using both tops. Of course, you can build them to suit your own needs. Given the experience level of the author, I'd probably start with his dimensions if I was to build them.

Len

New User
Len
I've tried the little black and decker fold up bench with the rollers to clamp with. That is absolutely useless for planing or chisel work. Any ideas?

Which B&D bench was this, the WM425, or one of the smaller 100/200 series?

I've used an old WM400, similar to the WM425, for planing with no problem. With longer pieces of wood I use a roller support to keep it from sagging.

Since attending Roy Underhill's class recently, I've gotten into hand cutting dovetails & mortise/tenons. I figured out that clamping a striking post in the WM jaws would keep the WM from jumping around. It runs from the floor to the top surface of the WM.

A full explanation's in the "Tips for cutting mortises?" thread, and more pics in my gallery.

Len

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS